1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Spare tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by memlesko, Jun 29, 2009.

1. memlesko

memlesko New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hi!
    Has anyone had to drive on an expressway using the "cookie" spare at 50mph. If so you will understand my question. I want to convert the "cookie" spare to a real tire. Will it fit in the spare well, and if you have done this what am I looking at for cost?

Thanks

memlesko

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A full size spare won't fit in the spare tire well.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Something you might consider, and something I plan to do when I finally get off my butt and stop procrastinating: Get a used steel wheel and a used tire the size of the Prius' to mount on it. (When I replaced tires last year I kept one of the old tires, still with some tread, for this purpose.) I'm told the Corolla wheel will fit. For that matter the previous generation Corolla had the same size tire as the Prius, so maybe you can find a tire/wheel assembly off a wrecked Corolla. Anyway, keep it in a shed or garage. It won't help you immediately if you have a flat on the road, but unless you're traveling, you can get home on the spare and mount the full size tire there. Then you can drive the expressway and you won't be forced into immediate action on repairing or replacing the bad tire.

1 person likes this.