1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Strange Sound

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by oregonmike, Apr 2, 2009.

1. oregonmike

oregonmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I thought I was hearing things or I was crazy but after a long day afternoon running errands my passenger heard it too, and asked me about it without me mentioning it him.

Recently when I'm driving down the road (the radio off and the ac/heater off) I "occasionally" hear a faint beep like noise coming from outside or under the car. No engine lights (indicating a problem) come on. It is random, and happens more than once on occasion. I thought it was a squeak/sound effect from the brakes but it happened even as I wasn't pushing on the breaks. It is faint and sounds similar to when you lock the car upon getting out, only you hear it from the inside

I haven't noticed it before, but it's getting to be annoying and happening more frequently. I hate to take it into the dealer, they might think I'm crazy. In 6 months of owning it I haven't heard this sound before.

Anyone have similar sounding strangness?

2. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No, I have not heard anything like that. I now have 50,000 miles.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does it correlate with bumps or rises/falls in the road? Could be a squeak in the suspension..

5. oregonmike

oregonmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I think it does, as I went on a gravel parking lot and noticed it was happening almost every second. However it happens on dry paved roads as well...

Is this a fixable "warranted" thing or just something to live with? I haven't drove it in water puddles or anything, my first thought was like any other car it had squeaky brakes, but thats not the case.

6. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Okay, now stand by each wheel and push the car up and down to flex the suspension at that wheel. See if the beep is audible. If it is, you likely have a squeaky shock or rubber grommet.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not supposed to do that, so I expect it would be a warranty repair item no matter what the cause.

8. oregonmike

oregonmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had 5 different passengers now notice it, it's rather annoying. I just hope the service department hears it as it can be fait, but rather annoying once you notice it. I plan on calling them tomorrow and setting up a time for them to check it out.

9. oregonmike

oregonmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:

The sound continues while in motion or stopped while car is on. Trip to dealership proved unsuccessful as they were unable to hear or detect the noise, siting it might be the leak detection pump performing its function randomly as intended. It only started a few weeks ago, after driving the car for over 6 months so I don't think this is the cause. At first they thought it was related to the ignition system, but ruled that out.

For now I will just put up with this newfound annoying sound, until it gets better. At least its now documented on my service record, incase it become a major problem down the line.