1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009, Two weeks in and lots of questions/issues!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HoosierPrius, Apr 11, 2014.

1. HoosierPrius

HoosierPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all,

New to the forum, new to Prius ownership. You all have a load of info, and I appreciate your taking the time to read a newbie post.

We bought our 2009 with 74K two weeks ago, and while we are overall very pleased (and getting close to 50 MPG with all the in town driving I do to cart kids around--awesome), but a few issues are coming up and I am leery to call the dealership and get screwed since we just paid cash for this new to us car and would rather avoid giving them the rest of our loot. Here is what is up:

1. Headlight condensation. Why the first and only other owner did not take it in when it was free to be repaired, I have no clue, but it is definitely happening every day in Southern Indiana spring. My husband and I are considering sealing them off with silicone gel as we saw on another post here, but fear doing more harm than good. Thoughts?

2. CEL came on yesterday. Needless to say, I was PISSED, since we just paid $12K for the car two weeks ago. Two WEEKS. Anyway, took it to Autozone and it is reading the P1121 code, which from reading here I can see is common. I gather there is a TSB for this, but is it still going to cost us? The 96 month/100K mile hybrid warranty is still active, and we are under the 80K mark for Fed Emission Control Warranty; we also have a 30 day power train/engine warranty through the dealer who sold us this car. Do we have a leg to stand on trying to get one of these warranties to pick up the tag on the valve replacement we obviously need? The light was off after Autozone read it, but came back on the second time I started it. Coolant levels *appear* fine.

3. I think this is unrelated, but a few things have been leaving me uneasy...one, when I first start the car, the gas engine kicks on within about 15-30 seconds, even if we are in park. Is this normal or might it be related to the coolant valve? Second, when I come to a stop at a light, the car really does some...complaining? shimmying? before switching to the electric motor. Normal? Lastly, when I park the car, there is a distinct clicking/whirring under the hood, driver's side. This morning when I went out I just opened the car and closed it, same noise. Normal?

We are coming into this car from a 97 Subaru that we had driven for over 10 years, many of which saw the CEL on all the time. But that car is now 17 years old and not worth much. Would like to see our 09 Prius through 10 years/100K miles as well, but this first two weeks has me really questioning our purchase!

Thanks for reading, I know a lot of this is old news to those who have been driving them a while.

Best
    Jen

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm going to go backwards on your issues.

I believe everything you are experiencing on #3 is normal. It's part of the hybrid system. The sound you hear on the drivers side whirling, happens at start up and shutoff for a few seconds. It's a coolant pump noise filling the thermos in the car. The engine "complaining" is part of the stages of the hybrid system, once the engine warms up, you won't notice that.

#2 should be something you address with the selling dealer. The warranty they offered you should cover this item. You might be low on coolant, check the radiator and fill with coolant and see if that'll help. If the coolant is actually low, there might be a leak in the water pump (which is common), have the dealer replace it while you have the 30 days warranty

#1 Not something I read a lot about. But other's may know more on this one.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. If you decide to seal the headlights, make sure all moisture is out prior to sealing. It is not easy to remove the headlights as the front bumper cover has to be partially removed for access.

2. DTC P1121 points to a failed engine coolant valve. Check the coolant level in the radiator itself, not just the overflow tank. If the coolant level is correct then the valve needs to be changed, hopefully the selling dealer warranty will cover that. The manufacturer warranties that you mentioned probably will not cover the valve.

If the coolant level is low, look at the engine coolant pump for antifreeze leakage as that is the likely reason why the coolant level is down.

The following string contains the TSB related to the coolant valve.
    2005 Prius and DTC P1121 | PriusChat

3. All of the behavior you noticed is normal. The reason that the gasoline engine turns on upon cold startup is to warm up the catalytic converter. When you open the driver's door and hear a noise, that is likely the brake actuator pump operating to bring the hydraulic pressure in the brake system up. If you repeatedly pump the brake pedal when the Prius is READY, you'll also hear the pump running. This is normal behavior. The Prius uses an electrically-powered brake actuator pump to provide the power braking function. It does not use the traditional vacuum-operated brake booster since the Prius engine is off some portion of the time and therefore a steady source of vacuum is not available.

HoosierPrius likes this.
  4. HoosierPrius

HoosierPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the replies, both of you. I think we will go for it with the headlights, $4 vs. $750+ makes a lot more sense. We have some strategies to dry them out once removed, and still have our old car in case it takes an extra day.

The warranty from our dealer will cover 1/2 of the valve replacement, but I will get at the radiator itself tomorrow and check the fluid. The reservoir was not low (but not full) this morning when I checked.

All the noises are just a lot to get used to! I am loving it overall, so quiet and getting great mileage. Glad to have found this forum, we are hoping to get a good 10 years out of this car and like to know the ins and outs of our cars.

Thanks again!

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding the headlight, one strategy might be the use of a hair dryer or heat gun directed into the headlight assembly when the bulb is removed.

If the radiator needs coolant, the correct coolant to be used is the pink Toyota Super Long Life Coolant.

HoosierPrius likes this.
  6. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometime moisture gets in the headlights from the engine bay being pressure washed .Dealers do this usually when they detail the car. You may be able to just dry them out and not have a further problem. Normal rain and washing doesn't enter the seams as much as pressure washing at odd angles. If you remove the headlight and corner bulbs by twisting counter clockwise and pulling out and park in direct sunlight for an afternoon they dry out pretty well. You can also speed up the process with a hair dryer aimed at the bulb hole. It may take a couple of times doing this as they will look dry but there is still humidity in the headlight case and when it gets cool again in the morning it will condensate again. Once you have it dried out you can see if it comes back with rain or washing.

I have also found new aftermarket headlights on eBay and from vendors like LKQ for about $70 that look exactly like the factory headlights. Sometimes they are cheaper when you buy a pair.

7. HoosierPrius

HoosierPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you, and thanks for the link to the thread above-by far the most useful one and I have been lurking on this forum compulsively since that damn CEL came on!

We have a stash of those little moisture sucking desiccant packets, I think we will let them sit in there overnight after drying with a heat gun. Fingers crossed. It is not garaged, and every morning there is more. Just wish the first owner had done it when it would have been FREE!

8. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Be careful with the heat gun, you can melt the bulb housing pretty fast. Hair dryer is slower but safer.

drysider likes this.
  9. HoosierPrius

HoosierPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hair dryer it is!

When we bought it, we felt like we were signing off on knowing how to care for our car because it is so much more high tech than our very basic old car. I mean, crank windows. But I found this and quickly realized that of COURSE there are loads of people who want to drive these green machines who also don't want to rely on the dealership for every.little.thing. Though we had hoped to have a longer grace period, I also look forward to getting our hands on the innards of the new car!

TampaPrius.com likes this.
  10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That being the case, should you find that 1/2 of the repair cost for the engine coolant valve amounts to $100 or more, you may find it worth your while to replace the valve yourself. I've posted on how to replace engine coolant (which is not trivial because of the presence of the engine coolant heat recovery system) and you can obtain factory repair manual info at techinfo.toyota.com for a modest subscription charge. The TSB that I provided a link to in post #3 above explains how to replace the engine coolant valve.

My posts regarding the engine coolant are here, see #22 and #42 plus the surrounding discussion:
    Changing engine coolant | Page 2 | PriusChat

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    $12,000 for a Prius with 74k miles is a fantastic deal. The coolant valve repair is the dealership getting it's last microliter of blood from you. Swat that mosquito, and enjoy your car!

By the way, I just traded in our 1996 Subaru. It ran like a champ but also liked to show it's CEL ;)

HoosierPrius likes this.
  12. HoosierPrius

HoosierPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh my goodness I can't even remember how long the cel has been on my 97 legacy. At least five years. We have loved that car, and i still love to drive it, but she has 172K and no AC. I have two kids and was getting terrible mpg for the grocery getting and preschool chauffeuring.

I think we got a screaming deal, it is the deluxe trim for the Gen II, leather seats and all. If the seller will pay for half I think we will take it, as the next two months are very busy for my farmer husband, who has the tools and confidence. I mostly have the curiosity and frugality.

13. HoosierPrius

HoosierPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Was thinking this morning-do they take regular antifreeze in the reservoir? I see the inverter coolant is pink, but does the engine coolant not need to be the old fashioned green stuff?

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The correct coolant to be used is pink Toyota Super Long Life Coolant, in both the engine radiator and the inverter coolant reservoir. This will cost ~$22 per gallon, already premixed with distilled water, and can be purchased at the parts counter of your local Toyota dealer.

If you should find that a different coolant has been used, that should be drained out and replaced with SLLC as soon as possible.

15. HoosierPrius

HoosierPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So just to be clear, as long as the coolant levels look good, it is not going to do any harm to drive it to the mechanic?

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two