1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI Clean Diesel Review

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The current wave of hi-tech ultra-low emissions diesel engines has given the venerable oil-burner a rebirth in the passenger car market, and that's a good thing given the many appealing aspects of diesel power.

The huge reduction in emissions emitted by these workhorses arise out of the imposition of new EPA-standards, which require diesel refiners and importers to remove all but a fraction of the sulfur from fuel intended for roadway use. Doing so produces the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) rating that this new class of clean-burning diesels requires.

http://www.auto123.com/en/volkswagen/jetta-tdi/2009/review?carid=1096300710&artid=107650

2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Without an actual emission rating, it's just another propaganda article.

Cleaner than diesel of the past, yes.

Clean enough to get a SULEV or PZEV rating, highly unlikely.

Cleansing diesel to that degree is expensive and it reduces MPG even more so than with gas.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I noticed Rob's article is dated "June 15, 2009" and already has 102 vehicle ratings. Yet his Prius article is dated "March 25, 2009" and until just a few minutes ago, had no vehicle ratings. Now I have both the highest and lowest review.

Interesting, the web page would not accept my vehicle VIN so it lists me as "an enthusiast." It does seem to be Canadian centric. Reporting speed in kph and fuel consumption in L/100km would probably work best.

Bob Wilson