1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 W/270,000

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bigmama124, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Bigmama124

Bigmama124 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2009 Prius with 276k miles on it. Diligent in keeping oil changes at proper times---I still have the original brakes on the car---and have been told they are no where needing to be replaced. 95% of those miles are interstate---travel is typically 65-70mph---I'm in Central Florida--so pretty flat around here! I take good care of the car.

I changed the water pump on it about a month ago as it was throwing the code for it with no problems. Then last week, half way home my red triangle of death, check engine, engine overheating, maint req lights all came on at the same time. I was on cruise control and the car jolted a little and the cruise kicked off. I could feel a little jerking like it was almost struggling to go--but it was very very minimal. Got home and saw oil and coolant needed to be put in. (Oil change was not due for another 4k miles). Car ran fine til this weekend.

I checked my fluids all good before running an errand about 50 miles away. Again, coming home, on cruise--I hit an area where I needed to decrease my speed, this time, I hit the cruise to decrease and all the same lights came on. To top it off, the cruise control would not re-engage. Went up a small overpass and the car struggled with that jerking--only a little stronger this time.

Got home--fluids were exactly where they needed to be.

Something I've noticed with the car, while sitting at a light, I'll hear what sounds like fluid rushing behind the dash. I saw someone mention the fan, and a relay switch which usually need to be replaced in the 50k to 60k range.

But.

Now I simply start the car, all those lights are on IMMEDIATELY upon starting the car. It's not throwing any codes at all.

Any ideas?

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome. Sorry for the problems.

Sounds like, when they replaced the pump, they didn't get all the air out of the system. At least, I hope that's all it is. But I'd think it would have had problems sooner than this if that's all it is. If you have lights, you have codes. Get them read by a reader that can read the Prius codes (not just any reader). They are essential for a diagnosis that doesn't involve spending more on guessing and replacing stuff than on buying a new car.

You should click the "report" button on your post and ask a moderator to move it to the Gen 2 forums. The Prius Prime drivers may or may not have experience with this.

3. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tough problem, there is some expertise here....Many of us prime owners have owned previous Prius generations...I still spend time under the hood of both a Gen2 and Gen3 that various family members drive...But as soon as you buy a prime, you get encouraged to change your profile and frankly, I don't have the bandwidth to frequent the old Gen2/3 forums anyhow. Not that I have the bandwidth to read about non-prime issues here or what the hell someone's sheep did last night for that matter...:)

#3 ct89, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    jerrymildred likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree. I'm just suggesting that more Gen 2 owners will see it on the Gen 2 forums. And, it just helps keep the forums organized.

SFO likes this.
  5. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I too agree...We need to keep the forums organized...Hopefully enough experts still frequent those forums.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. Bigmama124

Bigmama124 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

When we took the pump out we drained out all the coolant and replaced with new. The reader has read codes before for years on this car which actually prompted the pump replacement. This past weekend I drove the car around town to get it hot because I really don't think it's getting hot.

We hooked it back up to the reader and it showed the temp at 174 (ran the car about 30 minutes in the city at speeds of about 45-55 mpg.)

The lights were on no codes thrown again upon start up.

Reset the codes, lights are all off and have stayed off. Thinking it's a grounding issue?

The touch screen is also fading in and out now.

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This leads me to think there is air in the coolant. I don't know of anything else that would make that sound in the area of your heat exchanger.

Yes, it is throwing codes. Your code reader can't real all the Prius codes. It's not possible to have those lights without codes.

Where in FL are you? If you're close to Tampa, you can take it to Tampa Hybrids in Lutz. Or any Toyota shop can read them for a fee. Another option is an OBDII reader and the Carista app. But you'll have to wait for the lights to come back in order to see the codes.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yep gurgling under the dash is air in the engine coolant. be careful as its easy to overheat the head. The air goes to the highest point which is the engine cylinder head.
    I suggest you buy a Xgauge its very useful in any car and you can monitor the engine temp in this car and can pull codes.

It next to impossible to get the air out completely without turning on the CHS pump. You can force it on by spoofing the relay legs. The air becomes trapped in the bottle when you try to bleed it but eventually gets to the upper cylinder head.
    happens to all modern cars to some extent as they usually have the rad lower the engine.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. Bigmama124

Bigmama124 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My problem is the code reader is telling me the engine is sitting at 174 degrees after running it non stop for more than 30 minutes around town. Yet all the lights are on beginning the instant I turn the car on. The sound of water gushing is very periodic---like once or twice a month, and that began long before the pump was replaced.

With the touch screen going out, the cruise control going out and the lights coming on all within a few weeks (lights and cruise at the same precise moment) is why I'm leaning towards the electrical issue--possible ground?

10. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    How fresh is the 12v, weird things happen when they are about to go ded.
    I agree with the let a dealer hook up to see more codes if it stays like a christmans tree.

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The CC will stop working as a safety precaution when the ECU's gets certain fault codes.

edthefox5 likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seen some posts where a really tired hybrid battery will not run the ac or the cc.

13. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Air had entered the engine cooling loop when the gurgling sound first occurred.

QUOTE="Bigmama124, post: 2692787, member: 162589"]touch screen going out, the cruise control going out and the lights coming on all within a few weeks (lights and cruise at the same precise moment)[/QUOTE]
    Touch screen could just have coincidently gone bad. Sucks.

Cruise control not working could be due to a bad clockspring cable, that just happend to occur at that moment in time. Awful coincidence. Have you ruled out the clockspring?

Get mini VCI w/ Techstream. Techstream is the official software for Toyota, that all the dealerships use. Donate your current code reader to Goodwill.

If you feel like a big project, used replacement engines are cheap.

14. Bigmama124

Bigmama124 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery is less than an year old.