1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 - 2011 low beam halogen wiring / bulb warranty replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by scottjm, Jan 9, 2018.

1. scottjm

scottjm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got a letter from Toyota this week stating the following. Anyone else get this too? I have recently installed LEDs but am underimpressed and think they performed worse than my old Halogens. This may sway me even more to go back to halogen.

Dear Toyota Owner:
    At Toyota, we are dedicated to provide vehicles of outstanding quality and value. As part of our continual efforts to ensure customer satisfaction, Toyota would like to advise you of a Customer Support Program that has been initiated for your vehicle. Toyota has received a number of reports regarding the halogen headlamps on certain 2010-2011 model year Prius vehicles. In these reports, customers have indicated that halogen low beam headlamp bulb lifetime is shorter than expected. While the majority of vehicles will not experience this condition, we are offering the following Customer Support Program:

Warranty Enhancement Program Details

This Warranty Enhancement Program provides enhanced coverage to the vehicle's "New Vehicle Limited Warranty" as it applies the halogen headlamp bulbs. The specific condition covered by this program is that the halogen low beam headlamp bulb lifetime is shorter than expected. If the condition is verified, the dealer will install voltage adjustment wire harnesses and replace both halogen low beam headlamp bulbs under the terms of this Warranty Enhancement Program.
    NOTE: Right and left side bulbs and harnesses will be installed even if only one side is exhibiting the condition.

The coverage offers warranty enhancement until October 31, 2019 regardless of mileage.

2. scottjm

scottjm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FYI - I purchased the following bulbs. Probably going to return them, buy cheap halogens, get the wiring replaced, and maybe get HIDs.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There's an exact post of this 3 posts below.

scottjm likes this.
  4. scottjm

scottjm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks!

5. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK. I received this letter enhancing the warranty on my 2010 prius with 62-K. last week. Yesterday one of my low beams went out for the third time in the last 2 years. I called the dealer for the repair and was asked if I had toyota bulbs in my car. I replied I had Sylvania H-11 xtravision bulbs which are brighter and last twice as long. I was told the program only applies to Toyota bulbs ! I asked if the wiring was only bad if I had Toyota bulbs? He said Sorry! No factory bulbs. No replacements!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like bs, what does the notice say?

7. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello Bisco. The first text here has the actual copy of the letter. No exclusions stated for aftermarket bulbs stated!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, try another dealer, or put a call in to toyota customer service. or call back and talk to someone smarter than the idiot you spoke with the first time.:cool:

you could always buy toyota bulbs and change them. then take it in, get the new wiring and reimbursement for the bulbs.:p

Grit likes this.
  9. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I spoke with another service advisor and was told that if toyota bulbs were not in the car for them to remove and turn in they would get no reimbursement and replacement bulbs. With out having the bulbs replaced at the dealer for a charge of 50$ 29.95 for the bulb and 20$ labor.they would have no way of tracking that the correct factory bulbs were installed!
    The bulbs from Sylvania H
    -11 xtravision are 23.95$ a pair and a much brighter bulb!
    So,it appears I have been Toyota-ed!! Thats the main reason I have all service done at aftermarket shops or myself!
    Yaaa, the right headlamp takes me about 30 min because of the stuff I have to remove to get my big hand in there to replace the bulb! That's 38$ I save!! And ,I leave my low beams on all the time for safety!!

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i know, my whole arm was raw after doing the passenger side bulb without removing anything.