1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010, 2011 or wait?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SteveWantsaPrius, Aug 23, 2010.

1. SteveWantsaPrius

SteveWantsaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi everyone!
    Back in February 2004, my parents were in the market for a new car. They always had Honda Accords as long as they have been produced. They didn't like the sloping of the hood on the 2004 and the Civic was too small so I took them to see Toyotas. They drove a Camry and thought it was too boring. The Corolla was too plain. The Prius was just right. 115 people were on line for a Prius ahead of them and the car was finally delivered in late October as a 2005 model year.

Just last week, they took a vacation and loaned me the car for the week. I averaged 50 to 50.6 mpg driving to work in combined city/hwy driving. I love playing with the pedal to manipulate the hybrid system and watch it change modes on the monitor. Yesterday, I took a mostly hwy trip for a total of 290 miles and averaged exactly 59 mpg. These figures are with the a/c running at 75 degrees.

I currently drive a Toyota pickup with 251,000 miles on the clock. I want a Prius! It would also be nice to be able to finally get my dog to fit comfortably in the vehicle. Even with the truck's extra cab, my Great Dane cannot get comfortable. He can sprawl out across the rear seat of the Prius. There's no room for people unless you want him on your lap crushing you but thats better than what I have now.

Here's my questions: If I buy now, I can get a 2010(Prius II in the silver color) which is what I want with no problem. If I wait a month or so, I could get a 2011 for probably a small amount more. I have read rumors online that they may be using lithium ion batteries sometime soon for about 20 more mpg. Is this worth waiting for? Should I trust lithium ion batteries to give the kind of service life the nickel metal hydride batteries have been proven to give? If I get a 2011, I'm thinking it might distance myself from the media attention Toyota has gotten in 2010 possibly helping retain the value of the car. That would be my only motivation for waiting for a 2011. Does that make any sense?

I am not interested in a plug-in hybrid. I do not like the idea of cycling the batteries that much until durability problems have been solved in the future or proven over time. I don't want to wait 5+ years for the plug-in technology to prove itself as durable before getting a Prius.

Thanks in advance for any opinions on what I should consider.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    make your decision for a 10 or 11 based on price. they are the same so whatever you are comfortible with. the only thing coming down the road officially is the plug in. no date or promise of a standard hybrid with li-on. all the best!
    p.s., when i went to meet my in laws for the first time (35 years ago:eek:) their great dane put his head in my lap and i was unable to get up. they declared that i was a keeper!:D

3. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Let's get one thing straight. Changing to lithium ion batteries will NOT give you 20 MPG more mileage. The only way to get that kind of mileage increase would be to somehow make the ICE massively more efficient and/or reduce the mass of the vehicle by a huge amount.

Keith

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i spose it depends on how much energy they hold, how many they can fit, weight, etc.:)

5. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2011 will have better resell value. 2010 will (should) be cheaper. Either way, can't really go wrong. I was fortunate to get mine in May since I got a tremendous deal with lots of cars to choose from. Took me the longest time choosing the car I eventually got.

6. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    there are essentially no differences between the 2010 and the 2011. The 2011 has some naming changes and another color option. the 2011 will be slightly more expensive. There won't be li-ion batteries in the 2011 it will be the same as the 2010. Li-ion batteries are only going to be in the PHV Prius for now, which is scheduled for late 2011/2012

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sounds like you are so excited to get it. Just get it. :) You'll probably won't save much by keep driving the truck.

8. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The only way to increase mileage when switching to Li-Ion is to increase the capacity of the battery. Doubling the battery capacity easily doubles the EV distance. My record for EV is 3 miles from 7 bars to 2 bars. If the Prius came with 3KW battery I could easily go 4 miles on EV. Li-Ion batteries are lighter and smaller than NiMH. For the same size and weight as the current battery you could probably fit 2KW Li-Ion battery.

I know what you're thinking. stealth mode decreases mileage b/c when the battery's depleted the ICE would have to work much harder to run the MG1 to recharge the battery. The route I take, charging is most mostly done by regen. I can charge my 2 bar battery to 6 bars with regen in 3 stop lights from 45mph in less than 3 mles. I recently discovered a route near my house that has an overpass that allows me to regen down the overpass to get the battery to 7 bars. From there it's 3 miles of straight line residential street.
    In my experience, regen recharges faster than ICE running MG1. If Toyota install a 3kw battery pack I think there will be an increase in mileage. Despite what many have said that ultimately all the energy came from the ICE. It's not true. Regen braking contributes a great deal of energy too. Having a bigger battery I believe will capture more regen energy. The Prius seem to like to keep the battery pack at 6 bars.
    As for waiting for the Prius to come out with Li-Ion traction battery, don't hold your breath. I suspect that this will not happen until Gen IV. Go ahead and buy a 2010. Dealers are clearing them out to make room for the 2011. If you can get an 11 for the price of 10 then go for it.

9. @Class

@Class Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're buying new I would say wait as you're going to be paying a high price anyways.

10. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    The kinetic energy that regen recaptures ultimately came from the engine.

The main efficiency advantage of a bigger battery would be the potential to continue recapturing energy in situations when the disc brakes would have been working because a standard Prius battery would have been full.