1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010/2011 very similar to 2013?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Papito23, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Papito23

Papito23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Newb here. The question first, then the details:

How similar are the 2010-2011 Prii to the 2013? I test drove a 2013 Two liftback with 40K fleet miles, listed at $17,500. A little too rich for my blood, maybe. Few Prii in my neck of the woods, and I have a new baby/job, so finding time to test drive each year/package is more than I'd like at the moment. I'd like to go into looking at a car already knowing if I like the year/package.

Looking at ditching my '05 Malibu for a few reasons:

*has 140K+ miles
    *want newer safety features (Stability Control is my must-have)
    *better MPG

Also looking to keep costs in check, therefore looking about 4-5 y/o car with <65K miles. A slightly older car also means lower annual excise tax (Indiana), and more years driving with liability-only insurance (I drop when vehicle is below a certain value). Don't want to go 2009 or older, as might as well get the latest generation and increased MPG, and don't want to shop for cars too frequently... this is my first time.

Thanks all. The more frugal decision would probably be to keep on with the Malibu, it's been a great car and I squeeze almost 30 mpg in mostly highway driving. After reading about the 150+ car pile-up on I-94, I am encouraged anew to upgrade safety features on my car (even though that was about driving too fast in snow, I know).

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, 2010-2015 very similar.

3. Papito23

Papito23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have heard that the 2010 has the very unpopular "flying buttress" down the middle. Other than that, I'm assuming most changes within a generation are cosmetic? That is, no big structural changes to body, engine, etc. I don't follow cars very closely, or geek out on them... we're pretty utilitarian.

Anything on the higher trims that people find really frustrating not to be on the entry level one? Thought I read something about 2010 base level not having cruise control, but couldn't imagine that was the case...

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2010 is the first year of gen III and the flying buttress. it's personal taste. as the years progress, some decontenting takes place such as 3 door to 1 door sks. you really would have to do a study of each year and the standard options, plus the different packages each year. if it's important to you, take the time to do your research.

the base prius is a fleet vehicle and not available except used. new cars start with package 2 and have cc. best thing to do is look at the fully loaded units, decide what the must haves are, and make sure they are on the cars you're interested in.

5. Papito23

Papito23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks all. No, most of the premium options I'm not worried about. Just stability control, cruise control, and a key fob... things I think of as "basic" in a newer-ish car.

6. Papito23

Papito23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @bisco base unit without cruise control? Whew, would never wish that on anyone, I use it all the time. Good to know about the fleet vehicle issue. Interesting...

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    make sure you get two fobs. they cost around $400. and a lot of used cars only come with one. if you lose the one, it's around $1200. to get a new one cause you have to get a new ecu as well.

8. Papito23

Papito23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $400-$1,200? Sick, I'll stick with a regular old key. Can't I get them copied at Menards like I did with my Malibu? I'm starting to rethink the financial side of things here...

9. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Most newer cars have these Programable keys, and yes they are expensive, not exclusive to Prius. One of the advantages of a Prius, half the fuel costs of your Malibu.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you get a copy of an electronic key fob at menards?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and look seriously into 'stability control', i'm not sure what models/packages come with it.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not an option for the ignition, you must use the fobs.

A sort-of 'regular old key' works for the door only.
    Enhanced Stability Control, Traction Control, ABS, and Brake Assist are standard on all the 2010s, at least down to the base 'Two' level in my brochure. I can't speak for the fleet-only Ones.

13. Papito23

Papito23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1) I got a copy of my Malibu ignition at Menards for $1. Aren't these Prii push-button start? Ok, so they sense that the fob is in the car, so I have to have the fob. That is a $1,200 step backwards, IMO. Then again, I don't buy new cars, so nobody asked me. Grr... (Ok, reading now... I guess this could be worth the hassle to avoid grand theft auto, I'll make sure to let my insurer know so they drop my rates :)

Losing the key fob at that rate would cost 2 years worth of gasoline savings. Buying an extra fob just in case will erase 8 months worth. It's 2015, isn't it? Those things can't be that expensive to manufacture... ok, I see that there are alternatives to this already discussed here.

2) ESC (Electronic Stability Control, or Toyota's "Vehicle Stability Control" VSC) available on all US cars 2012-newer, only some cars 2005-2011, check here. The site shows it is standard on all Prii 2010-newer, and optional before that.

Thanks all.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just to ease your mind, we've had 5 hybrids in the last 10 years, and have yet to lose a fob. i do think it's worth it to have two though.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota's STAR safety system is standard on the current generation Prius (2010-2015 Prius). It includes traction control, vehicle stability control, ABS w/ Electronic Brakeforce Distribution, Brake Assist and the technology that doesn't allow acceleration when both accelerator and brake pedals are pressed simultaneously.

They also all come with 7 airbags standard: Dual front airbags with front passenger occupant detection system, dual front seat-side airbags, dual full-length side curtain airbags and driver's side knee airbag.

If you're somehow lucky enough to score a 2010 V (or 2011+ Five) with the Advanced Technology Package, you will also get Pre-Collision System (collision warning, brake preparation, seatbelt tightening and auto-brake), Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (cruise control but with the additional feature of being able to maintain a preset distance to the vehicle in front) and Lane Keep Assist (lane departure warning at lower speeds, and at highway speeds, it will actually keep the car centred in the lane with minute steering wheel adjustments).

The 2012-2015 differ slightly from the 2010-2011 because 2012 was when Toyota did the midlife update/refresh (so different front bumpers, different headlight design, different taillight designs, different audio/entertainment systems and a bit of a rejiggle with the options and option packages), additional sound insulation and supposedly slight suspension retuning.

A backup camera was only available on cars with navigation on the 2010-2011 models. In 2012, it was available with nav but as low as the Prius Three with no options.

PartsNinja likes this.
  16. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ^^ What he said...
    I have a friend with a '13. Compared with my '11 the differences are mainly cosmetic. Safety wise the same.

However, his is a level 2 while mine is a level 4. Thus adding some goodies like leather etc. On the used market you only get to choose from whats available. It sounds like a level 2 would be more than satisfactory to you. If you are interested in certain 'upgraded' features like bluetooth, nav, sunroof, it starts getting complicated.

Google "prius packages 2010" will get you hits like this one. 2010 Toyota Prius Trim Levels Will Be Confusing - KickingTires

Do the search for whatever year you are looking at. We have seen here in the past that sometimes the used car dealer doesn't know what package they are selling. Probably because there isn't any badging on the car help. Only a keen eye & knowledge of the packages will insure you get the features you desire.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A