1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010-2012 Toyota Prius OEM Remote Engine Start - has anybody tried to install this?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by natsmada, Sep 18, 2012.

1. natsmada

natsmada Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I bought the [PT398-47091] remote engine start kit from PriusChat Shop and attempted to install it on my 2010 Prius III. I was wondering if anyone out there had successfully done this install without a dealer's help?

2. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Search on "remote" found this on gen III 2010+ forum. You are posting in the prius v (wagon) forum. Anyway there are nice detailed directions in link;
    Help... Has anyone installed the Remote Engine Starter themself? | PriusChat

Registration procedure on page 24 look interesting/complex and fall back on using Techstream Toyota tech software if the chicken dance procedure does not work.

Maybe if you put your location in your profile a member near you will offer to come visit and help.

3. natsmada

natsmada Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the help. I think I can finish up the installation tomorrow!

4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you are able to get the instructions they are pretty detailed. You'll need someone with techstream to program it. So I guess the straight answer is not unless you have access to techstream with the Denso VIM, or more specifically Denso DN-VIM-001.

5. natsmada

natsmada Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V

I successfully installed the remote engine start today, got it "registered" per the instructions, however, the key fob does not start the car remotely! I have an appointment Friday to have my Toyota dealer do it's magic to make it work! Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion....

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm afraid the chicken dance includes using the full Techstream, and not even Techstream Lite...

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think this is because you need the Techstream to complete the registration. I had issues once I put the car back together, but rechecked the tightness of the connectors and everything started working just fine after that.

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the appropriate Gen III forum from the Prius v forums....

If people see something like this posted in the Prius v forum, please, feel free to report it so we can move it to the right forum quickly... For some reason, there are MANY posts made in the Prius v forum when they belong elsewhere lately.

9. natsmada

natsmada Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I took "Gandalf" the grey Prius to the dealer today, where the technician (who had obviously never done this before) with my help finally got the remote start enabled using his Techstream device. It took about 1/2 hour and cost me $75.00, but at least now the remote start function works!! I also had him set the reverse beep to one and disable the alarm for the driver seatbelt. Life is good!

10. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    haha nice !!! I'm getting my Compustar Drone mobile remote engine starter and alarm installed next weekend :)

I see your signature, did you name your Prius snoopy ? cause I did too, lollllll

11. natsmada

natsmada Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Yes, the 2001 Super White with black front end/nose mask was named "Snoopy". How much is the Compustar Drone remote/alarm?

12. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    around $750 installed + I got the 2 way remote pager, getting it installed next, will keep you guys updated :)