1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010-2015 Toyota Prius Front caliper sliding pin lubing and PCV replacement, Video inside

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by NutzAboutBolts, Feb 9, 2016.

1. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With the caliper pins, I notice you didn't use a slim 17 mm wrench to prevent the caliper pin from rotating while removing the bolt screwing into it. I don't think the setup is any different than Hondas I used to do, and they make no mention of having to do this.

It seems like the Toyota instruction to use a 17 mm wrench is overkill. I actually found a slim 17 mm wrench while cruising Princess Auto, so I've used it, but I didn't notice any shifting, any real need for it.

Here's from the manual, I've marked in the footnotes #1 & #2:

Hmm, will try to upload pic later. @Danny Priuschat is getting increasingly messed regarding uploads, text and/or pictures.

With the PCV valve, any ideas for a change interval for this? Or just something to do if there's driveability issues?

#2 Mendel Leisk, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  3. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We did use the 17 mm shaved down wrench to hold the caliper pin from turning, I know the rear you don't need to use it, but the front will turn and won't tighten without using it.

As for the PCV valve, we always change them around 90k miles as a maintenance. You can probably get away with it until it goes bad. I haven't gone that far yet but I will probably do that on these PCV since it's not made of plastic but a metal material. I will definitely post something if I gets bad and clogged up next time lol.

Mendel Leisk likes this.