2010 55K Miles Sluggish Transmission Whine

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Swellgal, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Sand Pounder

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We just got our solid wood (west facing) garage doors replaced, with steel sheathed and insulated core, for just that reason. It was slow death in there some afternoons, in particular when the car had been driven, put away hot. A thermostat controlled garage window fan helped, but only slightly.

The new doors make a BIG difference. Wife wanted (and got) deep brown colour, but still very effective.

Swellgal likes this.
  2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The DrPrius app is easy to understand and read too. Plus you might want to look at the 3 battery pack temp sensor readings the app keeps track of.
    I noticed that when my Primes lithium pack gets hot (above 90F) it stays hot much longer than when the pack temps are lower. The NiMH pack might cool faster, but you'll have to turn the Prius - ON - a few more times than once a week to read what the app has to show you is going on.

Also, slower is easier on the pack in my opinion, but it takes willpower to pull the go pedal foot back. I'ts like training a whole new set of muscles in the foot.:LOL: Babysitting a car is never any fun, but if you want it to last a bit longer you have to try lots of different things to try an help it along.

Swellgal likes this.
  3. Swellgal

Swellgal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, our neighbors installed foam pads to their garage door and they say it helps. I want to install a security screen door to the back garage door so I can leave it open some times. My prius started well today in 106 heat with 4 bars, filling after 1/2 drive. Back down to 2 bars when I got back in it. Filled up after 10 min. Emptied to 2 bars after sitting in 106 direct sun in parking lot one hour. Filled up after driving. Ordered Panlong for $11.99 will install and upgrade Dr. Prius if it allows. I will follow the instructions and see if I can get a reading on approximate traction battery life. Will post results.

4. Swellgal

Swellgal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Amen. I ordered the Panlong for $11.99 today.

5. rjparker

rjparker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My experience is a good hybrid battery will show the same bar level several days later even in a hot garage.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And ---- before you do the health test, if you can get a couple of screen grabs of DrPrius at 2bars SOC and filled up, plus if the SOC stays anywhere in between 2 bars and filled for any length of time that would be a good place to get a shot of the screen too.

And/Or if the amount of time it takes from 2 bars to filled is consistent, that is a good data point to know as well.