1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Buick Allure Preview

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It might be a tad too early to make assumptions, but it looks like the next-generation Allure isn't exactly going to be your fathers Buick. Photos and info of the revised model are now on GM's American media site- though it's called the 'LaCrosse' south of the border. Looks like Buick's entry-level car has become meaner, more sculpted, less geriatric and even, dare we say, exciting to look at.

http://www.auto123.com/en/news/car-...ew?model=Allure&carid=1100900200&artid=105448

I do not know about you guys, but this Allure (LaCrosse in the US) is quite, umm, alluring and the engines seem to be a good choice (direct injected V6s with variable valve timing). Might this be GM's best comeback??

2. Vondutch

Vondutch New Member

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but, that is really sharp. I especially like the back-end (page 2 pic).

To your point though: more bar-raising design + attention to greener technologies and GM will make it back.

A case in-point: The 2008 Cadillac CTS. Polarizing exterior design not withstanding, that car, and its subsequent ad-campaign, got people into dealerships, got accolades from the motoring press and sold really, really well to what both GM and Cadillac called "non-traditional Cadillac buyers". That new Buick you linked to, if marketed well/correctly, could do for Buick what the CTS has done for Cadillac.

I would love to see more cars come out of GM brands looking like that new Allure/LaCrosse but, I would also like to see hybrid or plug-in versions of said cars as well. The Chevy Volt is a step in the right direction, it seems, but GM is going to have to move faster and with more apparent dedication if they're going to remain competitive, best case, or alive...worst case.

Ooops...inside voice...inside voice :redface:

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GM's future product is unbelievable. I have seen some of it with my own eyes.

4. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Today's new little tidbit is that Opel vehicles that were planned to come to the US as Saturns will now be Buicks. So this Opel Insignia will be the 2010 Buick Regal instead of the Saturn Aura.

(In case you hadn't heard, GM has announced that it will not be supporting the Saturn brand after 2012. What you see is what you get, no new models will be introduced or existing models redesigned. If GM can't sell Saturn by 2012 then they will simply close it down.)

[​IMG]

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It won't take that long, 5 saturn dealerships closed on Thursday and Friday.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Insignia seems to be getting good reviews in the UK and appears to be much better than the ill-fated Vectra. Is that true?

7. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Insignia has reviewed well. It has been winning award after award including 2009 European Car of the Year. The only review I've read is from Motor Trend and they like the exterior design, interior materials, and handling.

I did have a chance to drive the Vectra as a rental in 2007. I wasn't impressed. It topped out at only 200 kph (124mph) and had a hard time getting up to that speed. Above 160-180 kph it was very loud and felt a bit nervous.

The diesel Passat and C-Class that I normally rented were very relaxed at speed and driving at 120 mph didn't feel much different than driving 80 mph in the US. (My normal cruising speed was 160 kph (100 mph) unless we were in a hurry.)

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The new LaCrosse is a VERY sharp car, I saw it in person at the DC auto show. They took several Lexus ES350s and stripped them down piece by piece and designed the LaCrosse to do everything just a little bit better than the Lexus.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good to me.