1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Dealer Installed OEM Remote Start Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ihparker, Mar 12, 2010.

1. ihparker

ihparker New Member

I have a 2010 Prius V with the Advanced Technology Package. Yesterday, I brought the car to my dealer to have the Toyota OEM remote start installed.

I was expecting to receive new key fobs that allowed me to either remote start the car or just turn on the A/C. The service advisor said that was only a factory option available on the package with the solar panel sunroof.

What I now have is my original key fob where I push the lock button 3 times to start the car.

Is the dealer right or did he install the wrong kit?

2. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is how it works. Your dealer should have given you quick reference card that attaches to the keyfob with instructions on how to use it.

No new keyfob. Turn your A/C when you leave the car. When you remote start the car it will cool the car.

3. ihparker

ihparker New Member

Thank you. I am attaching a pic from the Prius build option on the Toyota website. It shows this key as the remote start accessory. Is there any difference between this fob (which has the a/c option) and my basic one? I would have thought that I would have received this new key fob.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

• Key.jpg
      Key.jpg
      File size:
      46.3 KB
      Views:
  4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Unfortunately, Judgeless already gave you the correct answer. The picture is simply wrong and misleading. Please note, it will turn the car back off as soon as you unlock or open a door, or after 10 minutes. The timing of the 3 presses also has to be just right, as in press-press, press. Can be aggravating if you are not close or cannot see the lights flashing. All in all, probably worthless for A/C, unless you happen to be sitting nearby in a restaurant or something.

5. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The remote A/C is only available for some strange reason as a standard part of the Solar Sunroof package. Totally different from remote start. As someone said earlier, if you want your A/C or heat to go on when you start the car remotely, just leave it on when you turn off the car. It will then start when you remote start, just as it would if you start the normal way. Same with the heated seats.

6. ihparker

ihparker New Member

Thank you. I really appreciate the definitive answer!

7. ihparker

ihparker New Member

Agree on its general usefulness. I have 3 cars and a 2 car garage, so the Prius sits on my driveway. I plan to use the remote from my house to warm or cool the car. I can see the lights flash from my window. :) Thanks for your help.

8. Royal5280

Royal5280 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What does that install on this option run? How much different is that then the key fobs themselves?

9. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Probably around $500. You do not get new FOBS. You use the ones you have.

I strongly recommend against the OEM Remote start and go with a Viper system. It lets you start the car from 1 mile away compared to 150 feet. There is also an app to start the car with your smarthphone.

10. smokiejoe

smokiejoe Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OEM Remote Start will turn on the Front and Rear Defrosters Automatically when its Cold outside. (At least mine does). You don't need to preset these.

11. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are the doors still lock when you do the remote start with the viper starter remote? I really don't care about the distance of a mile or 1000 ft and above. What's important to me is security that no one gets in my car while heating or cooling it up and drive off with it.

12. harleyjs

harleyjs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Big differance with OEM Remote Start is no extra fob to tote around.Yes the car is locked and secure, it will shut down when you enter the car then you must restart.

13. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The existing FOB still works. Both the Viper and OEM will turn the engine off when you open the door if the car was started with a remote start.

No one can get in a drive off.