1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Doesn't always start: Operator error?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Tajtoo, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Tajtoo

Tajtoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've got a wonderful new Prius2010 (III) and, mostly, I love it.

Thanks for all the great newbie info on this site, and please accept my apologies in advance for what is likely to be another stupid newbie question. Here goes....

Sometimes my car won't start. I get in, press the brake pedal and the green light on the power button doesn't appear. It's either yellow, or (usually) no light at all. SO if I press it then, I can get it to the lights on (ACC?) stage, but the "ready" light never appears.

Most of the time getting out of the car and locking and unlocking the doors and then getting in and trying again works. (Looks ridiculous to passersby and passengers, but who cares?) That uusally results in normal startup. Yesterday it didn't.

I've read the manual, and haven't found anything that quite helps tho having read more, I am now stunned by the number of things I can do wrong to this car. Am I just doing something stupid here?

Thanks so much for your help!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Press harder on the brake. If the ECU doesn't see the brake light switch activate, you won't get to Ready. If you have to press too hard, it may be that your brake light switch needs to be adjusted. Many 2010s are set so that a large amount of braking is required before the switch activates. You can find instructions on PC for how to change the adjustment.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  3. Tajtoo

Tajtoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tom-

Thanks so much. That's very helpful I will definitely press harder on the brake and see if that solves the problem over time.

If that doesn't work (warning: dumb newbie question to follow), what do I look up on PC to find out how to change the adjustment? I tried "adjust break light switch" in various ways and couldn't find instructions.

Have a great day,

Iris

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Iris, don't let your dealership get off easy. If you have any problems, you should call your salesperson at any time. They made good money on your sale... use them. Granted most of them probably don't much about the car but they should.
    Welcome aboard!

5. Tajtoo

Tajtoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Haha. Thanks for the encouragement! I'm at the dealership right now. Yup, it did it again despite my using Tom's great tip and pressing HARD on the brake pedal. I called and said you have to see this now or it'll need to be towed in. So here I am.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Go gettem tiger! :) Do let us know what they said the problem is / resolution.

7. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The yellow light sounds like, as the other poster suggested, that you're not hitting the brake hard enough. No light at all sounds like you perhaps just "jabbed" the start button. I've found sometimes it doesn't respond if I just jab at it. Make sure you do a an actual "press" and I'd hold it for 2 - 3 seconds to be sure.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Post 55 of this thread tells you how to adjust the switch: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...m/69870-releasing-cruise-control-brake-6.html

The switch does three things, brake light, disengage cruise control, and lets you go to ready when you push the power button. It's easy to adjust, the big green thing is what turns not the brown thing.

9. Tajtoo

Tajtoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update on my brand new (did I mention I got it 6 weeks ago?) Prius:

It's been in the dealership's repair shop for a day and a half. Thank God it actually did its not-starting trick in front of the service guy, so they me. But they can't find the problem. I am told they are in near-constant touch with an engineer at Toyota who is walking them through every step of a painstaking diagnosis. The best guess is it's the module that is supposed to recognize the key fob....sorry guys, I forget the name. But they can't prove that is the problem and don't want to replace it until they've demonstrated it's faulty.

So what does that mean? Well, they have stepped up and given me a free loaner as we all agree I should not have to pay for a rental. That's really helpful. They will keep the car for the weekend and maybe I'll know something Monday.

Has anybody ever had an experience like this? It's pretty frustrating.

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glad they stepped up and you are in a loaner. Some else mentioned having a hard time getting to "Ready" mode just recently too. Might be related.
    Sorry you have to put up with this, but with so many units rolling off the line, something is bound come up. No worries, they will fix it.

11. Tajtoo

Tajtoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the support, Spiderman! It helps.

12. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm wondering if there's some issue with the car not being locked correctly? On cars i've had before if you left it unlocked for an hour or so, and then tried to start it, the immobiliser would not let you. locking the car and unlocking always sorted it.

do you lock your car with the fob or by pressing the door handle?

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have left mine unlocked overnight several times, no problems going to ready.

14. Tajtoo

Tajtoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I always keep it locked, and I lock it with the fob. Is that better/worse than locking with the handle?

FYI, the immobilizer is high on the list of possible causes, but still can't be confirmed.

Thanks!

15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It shouldn't make any difference which way your lock it, or rather you lock it at all, as far as the car starting again is concerned.

16. Tajtoo

Tajtoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hi-

SO, just in case any of you have been perishing with curiosity, here's the update.

The dealership kept the car for 10 days. They did everything they could think of, much of it in tight communication with a Toyota engineer in CA. I do feel like they took this seriously and worked hard. They were not able to reproduce the error again -- so I'm really lucky it did happen once in front of the service manager. Eventually they got permission from their area management to go ahead and replace the emobilizer.

I drove the car for 4 days and it started every time.

Just when I was thinking we are all set now, me and my new Prius..... <<insert drum roll here>> ......... on the 5th day home from the dealership, it got hit while parked at the beach. I was just shaking out my beach towel when I heard noise, sirens, etc. Yup, my new Prius (mileage under 2K) got hit by a woman driving with a revoked license. She hit the car behind me, my car, and really trashed hers.

My car's in the shop. They will fix it up. Most important: no one was hurt.

I can't believe it.