1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Equinox SUV.......32 mpg hwy

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by malorn, May 14, 2009.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The new 2010 Chevy Equinox will be rated at 32 mpg hwy, so chevy will lead yet another segment when it comes to gas mileage.
    [​IMG]

2. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Of course, that 32 mpg hwy is for the 4 cylinder, not the optional 6 cylinder, which gets only 24 mpg highway.

I've test driven the 2009 RAV 4 with the 4 cylinder, and I have to say that it is the strongest and quickest 4 cylinder that I've tried in a vehicle of that weight. It was good enough for me with 4 adults in the car (and one baby), that I wouldn't have even considered the 6 cylinder version, especially since the city mileage was considerably less with the 6 cylinder. (However, in the end I bought the Prius :)).

Now if the 2010 Equinox with the 4 cylinder can get 32 mpg, and have the performance of the 4 cylinder RAV 4, then it indeed would be a very good contender indeed. But I guess that remains to be seen.

3. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It should not feel too bad but not as fast as the Toyota. The Rav4 has 179hp but has only a 3360lbs weight. The 184hp Equinox weighs 3760lbs. For me that is enough HP but it would be great to see what the Equinox would get in MPG if it were only 3400lbs.

In short, 32MPG is great for a 3700lbs non hybrid vehicle.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bragging rights don't equate to anything.

Sales are what keeps the business afloat.

Feel free to indulge when that merit is earned.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Malorn, does this mean my eyes will never by troubled by this SUV wandering around in the city ? It's the only reason I can think of that you wouldn't mention city mpg, too. :rolleyes:

Actually, I more interested in why you post about this SUV at PriusChat. Do you think a purchase will result ? That a disgruntled Prius owner will dump their car, and use the cash to buy the Equinox ?

Personally, all your thread did for me was cause me to wrinkle my nose at GM's continued advert of the 'Volt' on their website as coming real soon now, despite widespread knowledge that the company is demanding $6Billion US *on top of* all the welfare received thus far from the taxpayer to produce it. Really, now that GM has (roundabout) admitted that their production schedule was a fantasy intended for PR and welfare dollars, they should at least have the good grace to remove the offensive BS.

Don't you think ?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup... 8 vehicles or more with 30mpg or higher (on the highway).

How's the city mileage? Highway mileage is easy to tweak. I'll let you in on a secret. A few bumps down on the top gear ratio will do that without modifying the rest of the feel of the car through the other gears.

Also steel vs. aluminium will show up in the city mileage too. Just look at Dodge. How they manage to get the Caliber and Nitro to weigh the same as a Camry is beyond me.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yep . . . that's Malorn . . . up to his old shenanigans. Bragging about 32mpg in one post . . . then bragging on high powered GM hybrid land barge SUV's that only get 19mpg. It's great when you can have it both ways. BTW, the SIX cylinder AWD hybrid SUV's made by Lexus & Toyota got that kind of low-30's MPG, back when they came out in 2006 ... and now the new 2010 Lexus SUV Atkinson 6 cylinder get's even higher MPG. Oh ... and it has the hp of their V8 . . . not a 4 banger. Don't get me wrong ... for GM, this is at least a tiny step in the right direction.

Just one question though. Is the Equinox SUV being made in China? or just other GM products:

Leaked GM document shows automaker plans to sell China-built cars to U.S. consumers

Gee ... THOSE Chinese GM products ought to help the average / poor slob GM worker. Thanks for that GM. But maybe the Chinese GM products won't be the Equinox. Maybe they'll be the Volt ... or the Volt clones that China began selling months ago ... well ahead of even a REMOTE Volt production date. Well if it is the Volt clone ... Malorn may get to sell me one after all.

8. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Equinox is more than a tiny step. GM increase the fuel economy of the Equinox 25%! To me 25% improvements are huge.

The Equinox is the most fuel efficient non-hybrid SUV in its class. It is bigger, heavier, AND more fuel efficient than the CR-V and the RA4V

Equinox ----- 21/30
    CR-V -------- 20/27
    RAV4 -------- 22/28

Yes, hybrid are more efficient but the least expensive (Ford Escape) cost $8,000 more than the Equinox.

Why can't you people say "Way to go GM, you improved fuel economy 25%". If GM has fallen short in this category then Honda and Toyota are even farther behind.

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Equinox will be EPA rated at 22/32.

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hill, you are exactly what is wrong with America. Nevermind the truth just bash America and its companies and then complain when you lose your job or your municipal services are cut or severely downgraded. Tell me, who imports more products into the US, GM or Toyota and is it close or is the difference a mile wide? duh

11. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You Can't Put Lip Stick On A PIG!!