1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Flasher relay type and location

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by liskipper, Mar 2, 2011.

1. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am planning to install the WebElectric DRL-2P ( Sequential Turn Signals, One Touch Turn Signals, Challenger Sequential Taillights, Sequential Tail Lights, Mustang, Dynamite Stick Sequential, Pulsing Brake Light Pulser Flasher, One Touch Convertible Top, Dynamite Stick, One Touch Turn Signals, Dayt ) which uses the front turn signals as a DRL. Because the turn signal lights will be on all of the time, I am going to convert the turn signal bulbs to LEDs. This will require changing the turn signal flasher (I don't want to use a resistor because of the current draw and heat issue), since the LEDs are seen as a burnt out bulb and causes a quick flash. Does anyone know the location of the turn signal flasher on the 2010? There is a thread for the 2009, but I am not sure it is the same. I would rather not take panels apart until I know that what I am looking for is underneath. Also, does anyone know the correct flasher to use? The closest I have seen is: LED Flasher Unit CF18-08 Specifications

One final question: Where can I locate a circuit in the engine compartment that I can tap into which is live only when the car is in the "Ready" mode. I want to use this as the trigger to turn on the DRL circuit. I have seen people suggest the windshield washer circuit, but was wondering if there is a better choice.

Thanks.

PS I know some folks are opposed to DRLs, but I am going to put them in because:
    1) I think it makes me safer.
    2) My insurance company will give me a $50/year discount. Since I plan on keeping the Prius for at least 10 years, it does add up.

2. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  3. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did this mod, the relay is way up under the dash above the steering column, and it's a royal PITA to get to! Love the mod though...

1 person likes this.
  4. VicPrius

VicPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I, too, have done the LED mod. Got the stuff off of eBay. I'm using the SMD units, which are much brighter than the conventional bulbs. I just gripped onto the old flasher housing and gently pulled. The outer 'shell' stayed put and the inner guts and wiring came down. Disconnected the old unit, hooked up the new one, and zap-strapped the works into place. Very happy with my mod and the bulbs are very bright!