1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Gen 3 Prius AC Leak Cost to Fix Evaporator and Condenser

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Preston, May 20, 2022.

1. Preston

Preston New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sitting at a Toyota dealership (Orlando area) right now and just got hit with a massive service bill of $4400 to replace the AC Evaporator and Condenser on my 2010 Prius (136k miles). The service tech said he is willing to go down to $3600 out the door, but that he can't go any lower than that. I'm obviously overwhelmed and am seeking some feedback.

Back story: A/C stopped blowing cold air a month ago. Came to the dealership and they did an AC Evac/Recharge/Dye for $162 after finding out I was very low on Freon. Was hoping it just leaked over the years since I've never had to do a recharge in the past. A/C worked for about 2 weeks and then back to not blowing cold air so I knew I had a bad leak.

Assessment today from service tech/repair estimate: "AC evaporator is leaking freon inside case behind the dashboard and needs replaced. Also seeing mall amount of dye on bottom right side of AC condenser and dryer bag needs to be changed." He said that if they only fix one it will probably just be a temporary fix...

Repair estimate: $2800 for the AC Evaporator replacement, $1000 for the AC Condenser replacement, $130 for AC evac and recharge (all prices include parts and labor) = $4400 after tax. He is willing to bring the price $3600 out the door.

My thoughts: I figured the leak would be in either the evaporator or the condenser...but not both. Is that common? I know these repairs are expensive, but didn't expect this much. I'm assuming you would recommend I at least get a second opinion? Do I go to a different toyota dealership or try a local shop that is recommended by Costco (get 15% off service with Costco)...but they probably wouldn't have one who specializes on working with Priuses? Might also just call around for a quote from a few dealers...

Other considerations: is it worth putting this much money into a 2010 Prius with 136k miles on it or should I consider swapping for a newer car/Prius at this point? The used car market is insane right now so it seems like a bad time, but putting $3600 into a Prius that might be worth $6000-$7000 seems crazy. A 2015 Prius with 70k miles is going for $14k+ right now so I would have to put another $7k into a car like that.

The other hard part about this is that I just put $3000 into this Prius in December to replace the old hybrid battery with a new one (several cells failed). Having to throw another $3600 into the car means I will be close to spending the same amount in repairs as the car is worth in market value. Wish I would have swapped the car out back in December, but I was hoping to make this car work for another 100k miles with the new battery. Now I have to make a decision on what's best going forward. Do I put another $3600 into my Prius or do I give up and swap it out? Any other thoughts/feedback from this awesome community?

In case it's helpful, I shouldn't have many things to service for quite some time besides oil changes, etc. Have 1 year old tires, new brake pads+rotors, and have changed the spark plugs. Only other thing I can think of upcoming is Hybrid and Engine Coolant at 150k miles.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s not too bad, with tax and all.

3. Preston

Preston New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your feedback, Mendel.

Update: I called 2 other Toyota dealers in the Orlando area and 1 local shop that is recommended by Costco and includes a 15% discount on service.

Toyota Dealer 1 Quote = $3300 with Costco discount
    Toyota Dealer 2 Quote = $4100
    Local shop recommended by Costco and AAA = $2450 after taxes with Costco discount

Seems like the local shop is the clear winner, but my fear is that they aren't experienced with Prius hybrids. I brought that up with the service technician though and he said they are very comfortable servicing Prii (have changed hybrid batteries for owners in the past and performed other service). I really enjoyed talking to him and think I am going to go with the local shop unless one of you can talk me out of it or have other thoughts. Again, I really appreciate your feedback!

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Look up those parts at air con company like 4 seasons. The interior core probably 70 bucks and condenser 150 ish new aftermarket . I haven't lately it I'll wait . Under 300 for pair . So you'd Talkin 3K labour .. yep ok for y'all. Locally here on 27705 I bet my buddy Clayton Knowles would charge me about 850 or such . And in a day probably.. so look around I know folks in port Richey and some other town I cannot think of now.good luck

5. greenJeans7

greenJeans7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm looking at $1596 cost for just the condenser replacement on a 2013, seems repair costs have inflated quite a bit lately. Adding to this old post for reference.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Lawdy that the in front of radiator part ? Not inside the car generally called evaporator?. I have aftermarket AC condensers in quite a few of the cars I own they're generally around 100 to $170 for most of the Toyotas I own yaris's Corolla sienna vans and the like I couldn't even entertain five or $600 for a condenser and the evaporators sometimes cost less than the condensers not usually about similar is the reality but sometimes they're quite inexpensive that's the part that goes in the car and you got to take a good bit of the car apart to get it in but the condenser goes in front of the radiator you don't have to take much apart to get it out make sure you use new o-rings on your fittings that you're going to be connecting your new condenser too it's your mistake for paying $1,500 for the Toyota people to do it I could see you paying them to do the inside evaporator but not the outside condenser that's a pretty easy swap of course that 15 1600 dollars that's recovering the gas charging your system back up the cost of the condenser itself and their labor to do all that so they're part is probably $400 maybe $650 just to guess

7. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have found that a lot of aftermarket condensers have fewer coils than OEM quality ones. I don't know about the aftermarket evaporators.

I would stick with the dealers who are obligated to use OE quality parts. Saving a few hundred dollars is IMHO not worth the risk.