1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Gen 3 rear brakes both locked up

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by OurEvolution, Apr 27, 2019.

1. OurEvolution

OurEvolution Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Last weekend I was packing for an work road trip and as I went to move our 2010 Prius in the driveway realized the rear disc brakes were both locked up. The will allow the wheels to turn but just barely. I verified this by driving a very short distance then checking the discs with a FLIR camera and they were both well over 250°F. Front brakes seemed fine and the hybrid drive train is putting power to the wheels but the rear must think the parking brake is still on....as does the dash, since the "BRAKE" warning light stays illuminated. Despite this condition the transmission does easily shift into and out of all gears and everything else behaves normally when I hit the PARK button - the green LED on the button lights up, the doors unlock, etc.

This happened out of the blue. It's been a couple years since I had the rear wheels off but the car has been lightly used and it appears the pads are still in good shape. It seems unlikely it could be a stuck caliper since both sides are affected. My fuel economy as recently as last week was totally normal so no reason to suspect brakes have been dragging for any amount of time.

I just returned home from my trip so haven't had time to even jack it up to inspect yet but I've been searching all over the web trying to find anything at all about Gen 3 rear brakes locking up and haven't found it to be a common issue. I'm hoping I'll find there's simply a fuse blown or hose popped off or something but don't even know where to begin so figured it was worth throwing the question out there just in case my Google searches haven't been using the right vocabulary.

Much thanks in advance for any responses.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Although I am NOT familiar with the Gen 3 models, the parking brake is actually (usually) a small drum brake located in the center of the disc. (not certain if this is the arrangement on a 2010 Prius) These drum brakes are operated by a cable attached to either a foot pedal or a hand operated lever in the center console. Most likely the cable has stuck.

#2 TMR-JWAP, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    tankyuong likes this.
  3. OurEvolution

OurEvolution Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yup, that was it. Thanks!

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There is no drum brake on third gen Prius. There is a cable running from the parking brake pedal to the rear brake, that rotates a lever on the back of the caliper cylinder, operates a sort of cam to lock the rear brake. It could be that cable is overly tight. Maybe.

The US schedule calls for a visual inspection every 5K miles or 6 months, and also a full inspection, including pulling off the caliper, every 30K miles or 3 years. Have you been doing the latter?

There's one gotcha with the rear brakes, that can cause them to drag: due to the incorporated parking brake, the rear brake caliper piston can be moved back into the bore only by screwing it in. There is a cross pattern on the face of the piston to help with this.

There's also a need to prevent the piston from rotating, whenever the parking brake is used. Toyota accomplishes this by having a stubby pin on the pad back that is supposed to be positioned, and locked, between the raised spokes on the piston.

It is very easy for this to not work as planned. DIY brake inspection might overlook this piston orientation requirement, or the piston might be positioned properly at reassembly, but not well seated thus.

However it happens, if the piston manages to rotate, so that a spoke on the piston face rides up on the pin, then you will have skewed braking pressure, and constant drag.

This will be evidenced by scored rotors, grossly bevelled wear, in particular on the pad next to the piston, rust on about 50% of the inside face of the rotor (due to lack of pad contact), and constant brake drag.

To avoid this: install the caliper with the piston oriented thus:

upload_2019-4-28_9-27-48.png

Then press the brake pedal multiple times to seat the caliper piston against the pad, then reconnect the 12 volt negative cable (you should disconnect this before doing any brake work, to play it safe), take the car for a short drive, and back in your driveway/garage apply/release the parking brake several times (for the first time after the brake job), chock the front wheels and raise the rear of the car, then spin the rear wheels. They should go 2~3 revolutions with a good push, not free-spinning, but reasonably easy turning, with just light drag.

Attached Files:

Daniel Weiss likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As I understand it, the v (which is kinda, sorta, a third gen) has the top-hat style rotor with little bitty brake shoes for parking. But the Gen 3 liftback, as Mendel describes, has rear discs only, and the parking brake cable acts on the calipers.

The OP said the BRAKE warning light was illuminated, and the switch making that light up is right up front attached to the parking brake foot pedal mechanism, so whatever was binding up, it must have been preventing the pedal from coming back up to the fully-released position.

CR94 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah good catch.