1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 gen III hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by barnabas, Dec 1, 2009.

1. barnabas

barnabas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have some questions about the hybrid battery indication on the electronics display. The owners manual shows 8 bars as fully charged. I have never seen mine above 7 bars. I even had a 1500 mile highway trip and it still never went above 7 bars. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, normal. The car watches the battery voltage and adjust it accordingly... Drive a usual and enjoy your new vehicle :)

You can read around a bit for more info but the battery is never really charged more than something around 80% and discharged less than something around 40%. I'm probably off a bit on the percentages, but the bars do not represent full empty and full anyways...

1 person likes this.
  3. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree with Paradox. It never will really be 100% Full and there is a threshold as he stated.

I don't know the exact parameters but the car does not allow it to overcharge or undercharge.

I have never seen 100% full as well. And never seen below 40-50%.

Drive, Enjoy and don't worry. Operating as designed. ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For reasonably flat roads, this is normal.

While I've pegged 8 bars many times, it has always been on relatively steep mountain descents of many hundreds of feet. (My typical mountain downgrade is 2000 vertical feet, and a few were 5000.) Once the slope shallows, GenIII rapidly burns off the top two bars.

In hilly country, we don't want to see 8 bars on flat roads unless a mountain is looming ahead. That empty space on the top is what permits regeneration going downhill. Once that space is filled, the rest of any steep downslope is 'wasted'.

1 person likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. Ideally it likes to stay at 6 bars. (~60% actual SOC).

1 person likes this.
  6. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a related question, what wears out a battery more, time or frequent charging or discharging.

Or to put it another way you are given a free battery. You have to choose one battery out of 2. One battery was used 100,000 miles in a taxi in two year. The other was used 100,000 miles in a family car in 8 years. Which one would you pick?

7. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Charging/discharging is believed to be the main factor for battery life.. there was a detailed post on this somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now.

1 person likes this.
  8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Your choice is between two batteries that went the same distance, so probably had just as many charge/discharge cycles. So the younger battery would most likely be "fresher".

Each charge/discharge event will shorten the life of the battery, due to imperfect recharging (some material is either corroded or placed in an inappropriate location during charge - the nickle is actually removed and redeposited). Time will also do the same, as the battery will corrode just sitting there and will have to be recharged as well due to "self discharge".

But Politburo is correct, charge/discharge has a bigger effect than time.

Because the Prius battery is operated over a greatly reduced charge/discharge range (typically about 40% capacity) it will outlast another NIMH battery operated as most consumers use them - recharge when it dies. My guess is the difference will be 5 times the life minimum, and probably more like 10 to 20 times the life.

1 person likes this.
  9. barnabas

barnabas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks to all that replied. I expected that going down the Blue Ridge mountains is 8 miles and steep it would have max the charge out.
    I am glad to hear it is normal.
    I don't trust the dealer very much. After picking up my car I found 40LPS in the front tires and 36 in the back. I even bought a second tire pressure gauge and it showed the same.

10. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Actually that tire pressure is good for mileage, and won't hurt the tire wear. It -might- ride rougher though.

If you watch the battery charge and use the brakes gently on a long downhill, you can quite easily get to "full charge" (all green, but actually about 80% charge capacity). Pearl does it in just a few miles. It takes longer in "B" mode. You will notice the brakes suddenly require more pedal pressure when it reaches full indicated charge, as regen braking shuts down. You can -then- select "B" to dump energy with the engine to keep your speed under control. You'll also notice once you reach bottom the car will try to "use up" the extra charge asap. If you are gentle on the throttle, it will actually use a form of high speed EV and "warp stealth" to move the car using no fuel, trying to run the battery back down to about 60% charge capacity, its' design operation level.

1 person likes this.
  11. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Hi Dave,
    Does anyone know how to do a hack to turn on WARP STEATH? This would be helpful after installing a PHEV kit. The 2010 EV button kicks or at 25mph. I know that it will stay in stealth at higher speeds but you still loose the acceleration that you would like if you have the extra power in added batteries from the PHEV kit.

If there is a better thread for this Question Please direct me there.

Thanks,
    Dan

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine arrived with 40/38 PSI. According to another thread, some other folks had similar pressures at delivery. 40 appeared to be the pressure Toyota installs before the boat ride, with the intent that the dealers will drop it to placard level.

But for reasons of fuel economy, hydroplaning resistance, and tire wear, some of us don't want it lowered.

13. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I assume you want to run EV at speed. EV mode is kicked out for several reasons, including the current limit the battery can supply and the electronics can handle. Then there is battery heating. The most important is limiting MG1 RPM (it runs high if the ICE isn't running). Use "ECO" mode to get better throttle sensitivity, and expect you will have to use very slow acceleration (low torque and therefore low battery current) and it will stay in EV mode longer. It will then turn the ICE over with no fuel injected (warp stealth) at higher speeds. Still, you can't demand very much torque, for the above reasons.

To change this would require a total re-program of the system, and an inverter that could handle much higher current. I'm not aware of any "hack" that can do this. I know the after-market EV systems do have a switch to do what you want. They install a lot of electronics.

1 person likes this.
  14. barnabas

barnabas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Something has changed either the battery charge or bar display.
    Driving the same road each day the battery indicator has been running between 3 and 7 bars and doesn't take long to charge back to 7 bars. Starting yesterday it was 2 bars and stayed that way for 15 miles then only made it to 5 bars. I have never seen it go to 2 bars. Seems like the MG is not putting out enough to charge the battery properly or the battery indicator has changed. I did not notice if the ICE was running more than normal. I did not have any extra loads on or drive differenty than normal. Anyone seen this?

Thanks
    Barn

15. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I wouldn't watch and worry about the bars you see on the battery gauge to be honest. Yes, I have seen mine fluctuate depending on how I'm driving, even when driving the same route every day to work. And I mean that from owning a 2006 Prius before this one.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Has it been colder? Battery behavior changes with temperature.

Tom

17. barnabas

barnabas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The traction battery just doesn't seem to charge as fast as it did. The weather has been warmer where I am. Between 60 and 80 deg F. I drive mostly on counry like roads, not much stop and go. No B52 driving or large city driving,( full speed then full stop). Mostly flat roads at speeds between 30 and 45 ideal for the hybrid system. When it was cold 22-45 my mileage droped to mid 50s, now it is warm the mileage is back in the mid 60s again. I have noticed that on pure highway driving my mileage is about 46 to 51 MPG. The 46 was mountain driving with wipers, lights and defroster on at speeds of 65 to 70MPH. I have been only driving in the normal mode, going to try the eco mode next fill up. I have noticed the car computer is about 3 or 4 % higher than is computed by mileage and gallons used. I also realize that such a small tank with 8 gal fillups can put an error in the math calulation over 5%.

Barn

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would express it the opposite way -- in cold weather, it charges faster. Did you acquire this car before winter, or is this the first warm weather you have experienced with it?

In cold weather, the engine runs more to stay warm, producing more charging time. And another contributor mentioned that the cold battery has less capacity, so the same charge rate will fill up the available capacity faster.

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    NH in January ? I don't expect 60F for two more months, and I live in the southwest US !

20. barnabas

barnabas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Been in Florida for a few months. The temperature has had some very large swings from 25F to 80F. The decline in mileage when temperatures are cooler seems lower as expected. The traction battery bars seems normal again.

Barn