1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Hack question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MrChristian, Jun 12, 2009.

1. MrChristian

MrChristian New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know there are "hacks" for GenII, I just want to know if there are any for GIII. In particular I'm looking to have the "Nav-Disable" disabled. I don't want to be inputting destinations while I'm driving, I want my Navigator to do it (the Mrs.). We're about to head out to Chicago on a roadtrip, and not having to bring along another GPS navigational unit for burger/taco detours would be preferred.
    2004 - 2005  Prius
    Does anyone have any suggestions about what other forums I should be checking for the latest and greatest prius mods?

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Fortunately voice recognition allows you to speak in addresses, or pick destination POI's from a list. MUCH more usable while driving.

3. Gord

Gord New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rick, how good is the voice recognition in the car? Can you ask it to "Display Restaurants" and it will?

4. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, or you can even say mexican. To navigate, you can choose by POI near you, then a category, and it will give the closest three it's aware of. That being said, some POI's are miscategorized (a fault of the data provider), so sometimes more general is helpful.

1 person likes this.
  5. MrChristian

MrChristian New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's good to hear that someone has had some good experience with the voice recognition. Dialing seems to be ok. With regards to the navigation, there are way too many sub menus. For me it seems like such a hassle to have to fuss around with the voice recognition, which is frequently hit or miss (maybe I should spit the marbles out of my mouth, or maybe the unit should take the potatoes out of it's "ear") even when it recognizes what you're saying it's a bit of a pain navigating through all the sub menus. When you find what you want (just choosing a submenu) it seems like you have to confirm things two different ways before it finally executes your decision. I'm learning that there are a number of shortcuts but it still seems like a hassle. I'd much rather herd cats than have to deal with the navigation solely through voice commands. This is the exact reason I hope to have the Mrs. Navigate through the display (she's worse off with the voice commands as it doesn't register half of what she says). The Nav-unit itself isn't nearly as intuitive as significantly cheaper navigational units on the market. I'd hate to add more unnecessary things to our roadtrip, but I guess my Garmin Nuvi will be indispensible on this adventure.

6. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Having sub-categories helps out with discrimination in difficult to "understand" situations as it limits the choices the car must choose from or match.

7. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

After my experience with the gen 2 voice recognition, unless it improves drastically, I will be ordering my next Prius (plug in only) as bare bones. (My gen 2 was top-o-the-line). I think the stereo and nav are better quality as after market installations, and certainly less expensive. Live and learn.

8. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    John - take a NAV version for a test drive and compare it. I genuinely think once you tweak a couple of settings to remove voice guidance at every question, it's VERY usable.

9. Treasure

Treasure New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just purchased 2010 Prius with Nav. Believe Nav purchase was a big mistake. The lockout as you've all discussed is irritating and the voice recognition rarely understands me. Get tired of starting over. Will probably go back to my Garmin on the dash. Very expensive useless purchase. I won't ever recommend the Nav and will do my best to let Toyota know how poor their product is.

10. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've had Nav with other cars, drove me nuts. I have not experienced Toyota Nav, but the Garmin is just so easy - intuitive and cheap, this time I did not get Nav, I'll just do the Garmin.
    Toyota may have it licked, but I bet the disk to update the Nav data base will cost more than a new Garmin.

11. etdweasel

etdweasel Junior Member

Amen to that.

I just bought the lifetime upgrade for my Garmin; up to 4 upgrades a year, for the life of the device, for $119, and I can input addresses on the fly. I bought the last update disc for my '05 Prius on eBay for, I believe, $250. I love the built in Nav but I won't be springin' for it when I buy my '10...;)

1 person likes this.
  12. JasonPro

JasonPro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I purchased my 2010 IV without NAV and then got a Garmin 855t with a bean bag mount. It has voice recognition and a little voice recognition remote control that straps right onto the steering wheel. It works very well and is MUCH cheaper than the built in NAV. Plus, I can take it with me to a rental.

13. jaywolf

jaywolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

it has quite a few short cuts.
    you can say "I'm hungry" or "I'm tired"

14. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try saying, "I'm hungry!". Your map will show all nearby food choices.

15. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Only problem I found with the voice recognition is when the climate control fan is running high - the noise seems to make my voice not come through clear enough to be recognized by the 'puter. My passenger can hear me fine, but the nice lady in the dashboard hears me better if I turn off the AC... or at least take it out of auto and turn down the fan.

1 person likes this.
  16. hawkmoon77

hawkmoon77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah. I did it on my 2010. There is a very simple version of the hack, and a more complicated version that provides some better results. The thread is in the mods forumn.

17. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First off, I have no regrets with my NAV in the 2004 Prius. My next Prius will definitely have NAV. One feature lacking in the portable units is dead reckoning. When you lose the GPS signal on a portable at a crucial point during navigation, you can end up missing a turn or wasting time being rerouted. The beauty of the built in car units is that they still function fairly accurately when the GPS signal is lost. I drive in the NYC area and I love driving through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and actually see the NAV track my progress accurately until I resurface in Manhattan. You can't do that with the portable nav units. Say you are not familiar with the area and you have to make numerous turns when exiting the tunnel. Guess what, you're screwed!! First, the portables have been underground for a few minutes (more if there is traffic) so when they come out of the tunnel they have to reacquire a GPS signal which can take less than 30 seconds but try figuring out where to turn during those LONG 30 seconds!!! The car unit also calculates faster than any portable unit I've ever seen. I have a Garmin and a Tom Tom and though I like them for what they are, they can't recalculate or initially calculate a route as fast as the built in NAV unit in my Prius. With the ability to override the system I can use all the features of my built in NAV while I'm driving. I find it easier to use than trying to bend over and punch in directions on the portables when they're mounted on the windshield. Yes, the updates are absurdly expensive which is why I won't buy an update. Last time they built a new road where I live was before I was born!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  18. woneyeofca

woneyeofca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Far too many submenus...The Voice Calling feature requires answering several questions. It should be - 1) Press the voice calling button on the wheel 2) Speak the name and place to call - (ie - "Call John Jones office) & BINGO!
    Keeping automated tasks simple enables the driver to spend their attention to DRIVING - not answering questions. I know we should drive & NOT talk on the phone but it is legal...

19. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can skip a bunch of sub-menus, although I agree there are still too many. But skipping some helps a bit. For example, for calling, you can press the button and skip straight to 'Dial by Name', then say the name.

2 people like this.
  20. jamesafoster

jamesafoster New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So, back to the original question: is there a list of hacks for the new Prius, like there was for the old one?

I can't find ANY hacks configurable from the touch screen that still work.

IN particular, of course, I want to turn that damned rear-gear beep off without having to pay my dealer to reprogram it.