1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 JBL Upgrade, what would you do...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mmcdonal, Jan 10, 2012.

1. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Now that you have gained expensive experience, what would you do if you were going to replace the following items in a 2010 (I assume 6 speaker JBL, with Nav.):

1. Under seat amp/etc.
    2. Dash speakers
    3. Front door speakers
    4. Rear seat speakers
    5. Add sub
    6. Cabling?
    7. Not head unit, which was recently replaced under warranty.

I primarily listen to Classical and Jazz, although I do also like to listen to late-60's through late-70's classic rock from my iPod.

I am somewhat partial to Infinity, since they seem to reproduce classical instrument characteristics fairly well.

I have done stereo upgrades, and am willing to add sound deadening in the doors and floor as needed.

Here is your chance to propose a wish list and why if you have the inclination. There is so much good information on this forum that it is hard for me to put it all together.

Thanks for your help.

2. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It all comes down to budget my friend. Need to start with what you're willing to spend and figure just like any other project add at least 20% to that for unexpected things to pop up during the install or tuning. I went big right off the bat a little more than a year ago with me finally ditching the factory NAV for an amazing Kenwood unit about 4 months ago that is leaps and bounds above the factory piece but it again comes down to budget. There is amazing stuff out there and certainly better processors than what was available back then that will make using the factory HU easier. Give me something to work with money wise and I'll do my best to set you up with something you may really like. I have been away from the forums for a little while but being home sick is giving me nothing but time at least through the weekend. First thing first, be prepared if your budget allows to let Infinity speakers go. So much better stuff out there for the money. Infinity is great for home audio although no where near what they used to be. Car stuff has never impressed. At least not me and that of course is just my opinion. Let me know if I can help.

3. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, for the items I mentioned, I would expect at least $1000. I could do a BassLink powered sub, and 4 Infinity Reference speakers for about $400. But that is just my initial research. If the price gets too steep, I could do a section at a time. The thing is, I could spend tons of money, and it might be like polishing a turd due to the acoustic properties of the cabin I am starting with. So I don't want to go nuts for that reason. I am going for quieter tires later in the year just to reduce road noise. Do you have the model information for your HU? Did I ramble enough. Thanks for looking in.

Also, get well soon.

4. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am running the Kenwood DNX-9980HD. It really is quite amazing, but a little pricey although prices have come down since I bought mine. Now, I have pieced together a full set of speakers including a basic wedge style sub enclosure and amplifier to run everything for right about $1100. Everything is JL Audio. Running higher end components up front with a set of coaxials in the rear doors. It's a 10" sub with box and speaker grille to protect it. I'm guessing you were planning on trying to run the Infinity speakers off the factory amp? Would be a big mistake if you want any chance of anything sounding good in your car. The dash is actually quite the sound stage in our cars because it's almost exact the whole way across from side to side. Adding some sound deadening to the doors will help a ton with road noise. If you're determined to keep your factory NAV a good processor to correct everything the factory amp does wrong which is where you'll be pulling the signal from run in and around $500. Personally, I would go the route of the Kenwood DNX-6980 that I mentioned earlier. I have found all of this at the same place and you may be able to find the stuff cheaper shopping around, but at $659 it's a heck of a deal. In comparison, my HU is going for around $1100. All you would have to add is a Sirius or XM receiver if you even bother with satellite radio. I guarantee you for under $2k you would have a system that would have you singing for joy. It all comes down to the install as well. There are cables and power to deal with including a steering wheel control module. Depends on your willingness and knowledge level as to if you'd tackle it yourself or spend $200-$400 to have it all installed depending on the shop. It's alot to grasp but like you said, you could piece it together. If you plan on keeping this car for awhile it certainly will be worth the investment. Hope this helps. If you need more info feel free to ask. I can give you all the model numbers and website I was using if you'd like. Most likely you won't get charged tax and they have free shipping. That will save you quite a bit just in itself.

5. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Shawnb2, thanks for all that. I have been out of the loop here for a few days. I think if I started at the bottom and worked my way up, instead of the HU back, I might get more traction. Do you have a sub in mind that would work with the existing system to get started? I feel like there is no bottom to the system right now. Is that a powered sub? That was how I got started on the Infinity. I would like to hook it into the existing components to start. I don't need anything helacious, just something to finish the bottom range, which in the real world, tails off beyond the range of hearing, but does not pound the sides of the car to death. Thanks for all your help.

6. tinstac

tinstac New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What are you doing with your old radio / nav system, ? Selling it or have you sold it? I have an original non nav system and am looking to replace the stock radio / CD player in my 2010 Prius.

Thanks jeffrey

[email protected]

7. jay mcmullan184

jay mcmullan184 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just want to replace my stock radio in my 2007 the buttons are not working well I have a 2007 Touring w/ opt #4 with the 6 cd changer (works fine) so I just need the radio half replaced what years are compatible w/ 2007 ? Any info would be great.... I didn't realize the cd changer was mounted in the dash (behind or underneath the radio??) so since it's working good I just need to replace the radio....my wife christens EVERY car I get with a cup of soda or coffee and she got the radio this time (last 3 cars!!) really frustrating!!