1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Lexus RX: Déjà Vu

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Lexus RX, the brand's most popular crossover, has inherited a brand-new cloak, unveiled for the first time at the Los Angeles Auto Show. But the few touch-ups still lend the vehicle an air of déjà vu.

Its line is similar to the current one, with the few extra millimetres in length benefiting the wheelbase. The hood, in the image of the IS for example, is a tad more stretched out, and the light clusters, both front and back, are completely redesigned and more prominent.

Full Article

"A different type of battery is also installed in the RX."

2. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's missing one thing... The clown nose. :D

3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota's press release...
    Toyota/Lexus/Scion Pressroom: Lexus Stages World Debut of All-New RX 350 and RX 450h at Los Angeles Auto Show
    Following new technologies look interesting...
    "Another step in the Lexus Hybrid Drive's evolution is the addition of two new systems that improve its efficiency. The first is an exhaust-heat recovery system that reduces engine warm-up time allowing it to stop earlier, more often, and for longer periods. The result is an improvement in both fuel economy and emissions. The second is a cooled exhaust-gas recirculation system that reduces engine pumping losses, which also helps to improve economy."

Ken@Japan

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now the question is whether those two will make it to the Prius and whether they'll be useful in a Prius.

5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

also 450h now features atkinson cycle engine - unlike HH or gs 450h...

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And yet the net hp is 295hp?? Compared to the 339hp on the Otto-cycled GS450h.

hmmm..... mpg numbers will be interesting indeed.

7. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The exhaust-heat recovery(EHR) system is already used on the Estima Hybrid mini-van in Japan. The exhaust-gas recirculation(EGR) system will be used on the future gas engine vehicles.
    Believe these systems will be installed on the 2010 Prius to improve the fuel efficiency, a few percent each.

Ken@Japan

8. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i think it looks a lot like the subaru suv

i like this EHR and EGR systems! hope it gets to the prius 2010 to

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When the current Highlander and Highlander Hybrid models were introduced for model year 2008, I wondered why the Lexus RX line had not been refreshed at the same time. Apparently it took a couple of years to develop the new features that will become part of the 2010 RX.

Its interesting to see that the "h" model moved to the 3.5L architecture; I wonder whether the 2009 HiHy will move to the same drivetrain as the RX 450h or whether it will retain the 3.3L design for a few years to differentiate the two models.

The auto123 article makes reference to PHEV and a "different" battery while the Toyota release is silent on that point; I assume the auto123 article is incorrect.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    No, the only thing missing is a plug. Same ol ICE powered gas burner. We'll keep our '06 'till Lexus gets w/ the program thankyouverymuch.

11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Edmunds quotes 8% better mpg with 27hp more than 400h and heavier car.

Of course net hp is less than otto cycle - just like 2010 Prius will have 100hp 1.8l engine vs 132hp in Corolla...

Now, it looks like they definetly made a lot of components smaller:

[​IMG]

12. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So it is the same size as the Highlander Hybrid now ... but doesn't offer a 3rd row seat, correct?

I'm not so sure how I feel about the overall looks and the interior layout. Probably grow on me like all of the re-designs seem to. Some of the tech features sound REALLY cool though.

13. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

nope, thats not correct... it is smaller in every way than Highlander but still bigger than old one...

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the battery looks smaller and there's only one vent vs. two. The inverter is tiny in comparison to the Prius but I'm not sure how much smaller it is compared to the TCH.

Ahh yes you are right. Mmmm... that'll be nice! Pile on the technology! Do you know if they'll incorporate direct injection? Is it plausible to mix direct injection with an Atkinson Cycle and HSD?

The current RX was launched in April 2003 as a 2004 model. The previous Highlander was launched in Dec 2000 as a 2001 model so hence the offset. Also the Highlander's life was stretched to 7 years.

15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

in Edmunds video blog, they mentioned 8 MPG increase while in text they mentioned 8%... 8% would be in line with HH improvements... with atkinson cycle engine and futher hybrid system improvements, maybe 8 MPG is not an error...

16. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dimension Comparison:

2010 Lexus 450h / 2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Wheelbase -- 107.9" / 109.8"
    Width -- 74.2" / 75.2"
    Height -- 66.5" / 69.3"
    Length -- 187.8" / 188.4"

-------------------

I'm a little confused ... some of the info I've read makes it sound like the underpinnings on the 450h are the same as the 400h. I am still confused that they didn't make the Lexus the same underpinnings and size as the Highlander. I know Lexus says owners want a similar size to the old one, but I would imagine it's MUCH cheaper to have the same car underneath it all as the Highlander.

17. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

ehm, no... RX rather got its own development money and they did RX and not Highlander clone.

In all specs, new RX is bigger than old one, it is just not as big as Highlander...

18. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'd have to drive a vehicle using the Atkinson Cycle before I could tell you if I like it or not. But I'll remain open-minded in the mean time. :)

I like a highly efficient car 90% of the time, but I also want it to be capable of being a performance car.
    Hey, my current car only weighs 2450lbs. :D

19. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks the next Prius engine will be 2ZR based. Toyota never made direct injection ZR engines, and Toyota's recent developed engines do not come with direct injection.
    I believe it is not always true that direct injection is better than port injection.

Ken@Japan

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I see a belt.... interesting.