1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 location of electrical box under hood -concern for crashes?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by spinjunkie53, Jan 7, 2010.

1. spinjunkie53

spinjunkie53 New Member

In the generation II Prius, the electrical box was set farther back under the hood. Even in a low speed front end crash (airbags didnt deploy and no whiplash), the insurance company totalled my 2006 because they said the electrical box needed to be replaced and that alone was $3700. As I look under the hood at the 2010, the electrical box is even closer to the bumper. SO, is it a concern that it is so close to the bumper and subject to disruption for even a light tap to the car in front of you? (especially SUVs because the Prius seems to go UNDER the SUV rear bumper) I am wondering if insurance companies are really going to start dramatically increasing the premiums on Prius because of this.

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think it will matter.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Gen II Prius was/is expensive to insure mainly because the coolant thermos is not protected by the "bumper" (the REAL one behind the bumper cover). GIII doesn't have this, so -should- be less expensive.

There is a company that crash tests cars for the insurance industry. Can't remember their name (the above came from them). If you can find them they list the repair costs of all cars tested. They recommended extending the GII REAL bumper about 12" on each side, but I'm pretty sure Toyota didn't.