1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Nav Package GPS & Nav Traffic Thoughts & Qs?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Susan4ET, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius bought 02/10. Going through SFO, LAX, and SDO environs soon and thinking I might like to experience the Traffic Navigation system there since Central Oregon still doesn't have enough traffic to warrant the need.

Q: Does the system really work well or will I find it a pain in the nice person after a little use and ignore using it?

Q: I'm thinking I should update the GPS CD but wonder if there is a better way to buy the software for a lot less then the $200 ($199.99?) the only dealer in Central Oregon offers it for? Don't quote me on the price--all I remember for the moment is that it is closer to $200 then $125.

Q: I once read and/or figured out how to remove the GPS CD but without reading couldn't figure out how I did it back then now... :) I thought if I knew who produced the CD I might be able to contact them for a lower price? I know there is some man hours of effort keeping road information up to date but is it really worth it?

Thank you for the help. BTW, I just bought and installed the rear bumper guard from the Shop here and it looks great!

2. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the updated nav disc is unlikely to contain much new data. Sure some roads change and businesses are added and deleted, but the overwhelming amount of info is exactly the same. I am not even sure how often Toyota offers updates. When you buy the disc, you buy a version, so it isn't like they go in back and burn you one that has the roads and businesses are they are right now. Even the day the disc is released, there has been some lag time, since they make the maps by people driving around and recording everything, they may not drive a particular road for a couple years, plus even when they do, the information has to be brought over to the discs. So it is no where near instantaneous.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Feb 2010.. so you would've had disc version 9.1. (from Sept 2009). It's still fairly recent (I think I have 8.1 cause I picked it up on Aug '09). It comes out every Sept/Oct. I've heard the $200 figure as well but I've never asked the parts department before.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Enjoy the trip.

5. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It turns out I do have the DATA ver.09.1 DVD. I'll see if I can find out more definitive info from Toyota as to when the newest update will be out--my dealer parts seemed a little in the dark and uncaring about the subject.

In your Lincoln Tunnel example I guess what I'm wondering about is 1) whether the Traffic Nav XM Radio option routed you some other way clearly and successfully? 2) does it just show green (good) and red (congested) routes and then leaves you to figure it out until a new course sets up that navigates around the congestion or manages it some other way? And 3) I assume it is accurate--but this would partly depend on the map itself being accurate? So some times you win and some times you lose?

Thanks.

6. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    susan4et, You are best to check with the folks in califorinia... but it was nice to have the satelite radio for the short time i had it. If it wasn't for my wife ... I probably would have bought the service (i don't drive enough to justify, but i love gadgets)...

When I used the option in chicago area it chose a better route (didn't realize it) and was pleasantly supprised, even on the weekends....

7. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    NavTraffic is OK, but a smartphone (or even a laptop and Google Maps before you leave) will probably have more up-to-date info. During my 3-month trial, the only time it would've ever helped, I was on I-5 in an area where there was no possible route around the traffic, so it was useless anyway. Other times, it would tell me about construction or accidents that had since cleared up.

That said, it's not terrible; I've considered getting it, now that it's much cheaper than it used to be. I just don't drive on big highways enough to really make it worth it.

As for the DVD, I'd say wait a few more years; it's quite expensive, relative to the cost of a smartphone or a standalone GPS. And most roads won't have changed very much in that time.

8. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd like to add this problem I've noticed many times when comparing trip time estimates between the car's GPS and a portable Garmin. Every time I've done this for a trip taking many hours the Garmin portable has been almost dead on estimating the time of arrival while the Prius GPS has been off by at least over an hour. This, for me, has made it impractical to use the cars GPS at the start of a trip to help predict when I might arrive at a destination. As the trip develops though the time narrows down and starts agreeing with the much more accurate estimate the Garmin portable gives.

The question then is whether any of you have experienced this also and if there is clearly something I can do from the start to get rid of this inaccurate error?

I'm not aware of any error adjustment(s) I can make. I suspect the Garmin may use actual road speed limits. If I drive over the posted speed limits the trip estimate shortens. If I drive under the speed limits it adds time. If the Prius does something similar it doesn't seem to use actual route speed limits but perhaps only what speeds I input I think I will be driving at over certain types of roads?

Will the XM Nav Traffic help eliminate this large error estimate from the trips start? Of course I know traffic conditions will change over many trip hours--like an 8 or 10 hour trip all day long. Still, it is uncanny how good a job the portable Garmin does compared to the poor estimate the Prius GPS does.

BTW, the portable hand-held Garmin may get updated a couple times a year for a one-time price of around $100.00 good for the lifetime I own/use the unit. Toyota has clearly missed the boat providing such an outrageous each time update price.

Any experience or thoughts on this? Thank you.

9. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For what it's worth... I've discussed my feelings and concerns with Toyota and with my dealer and most recently added the suggestion that Toyota make the GPS update DVD available online for a very significantly reduced price to bypass the dealer's unknown markup.

I pointed out that Garmin (for instance) offers a life (life of the GPSr unit) time update service for around $100 where you then get free download updates at least a couple times a year (maybe quarterly--I forget). That is a reasonable deal--why can't Toyota do it? (Because they have a rich clientel that does care about price that does not include me?)

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Given that we have to input speed in the detailed navigation settings (highway, main road and residential), it leads me to believe that the mapping data only has these 3 types of road data included so if a highway is mistakenly labelled as a main road, it could really throw off the ETA.

On the other hand, PNDs don't have this setting and I believe the speed is built into the road data (either variable so that each road has its own correct limit or a fixed one similar to Toyotas layout but with finer detail so main road, secondary road, residential, SR, interstate etc). This is probably the reason why PNDs have better ETAs

11. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are going to want to look at the settings you have for your average speed over different road types and adjust till you get accuracy. This is under user settings on both units. And remember to set it accurately you have to know that on say residential roads you normally drive 30 MPH for instance, you are going to want to set it to something closer to 20 or 25 to account for stops and starts where you aren't moving or are moving at less than 30 MPH.

My old Garmin had settings for 6 or 8 different road types, the Prius unit 3, that is going to make a huge difference. Also my old Garmin and current Garmin had a setting where instead of setting you average speed over different road types you could set it to "learn" where it would average what your speed normally is over that road type and then use that -- which after some use of the unit would make it very very accurate.
    My Garmin units could also average your travel time on routes in memory.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's even less than $100 at http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-n%C3%BCMaps-Lifetime-America-Updates/dp/B001PKTFM8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317256870&sr=1-1 (currently $69.99).

When I called Toyota customer service many months ago to log a complaint about the DVD update prices my 06, I pointed out the price of http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-n%C3%BCvi-3-5-Inch-Portable-Navigator/dp/B001U0O7QW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317434369&sr=1-1 (currently $72.40), for example. My bank gave me one of these for free for opening an account.

Seems crazy to charge almost 3x the price of a brand new PND w/North American maps for just a DVD w/map data.

13. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Getting ready for the trip. The DVD GPS update ended up costing $169, and a 3 months only XM Nav Traffic deal for $22.95, plus the portable Garmin is all updated too. All set for my limited adventuring now in a couple weeks.

Wondering if there are some good Nav Traffic indoctrination videos anywhere? Thanks.

14. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you tried the Toyota Owner's website? They have several How To videos. I do not know if the Nav Traffic is included.

15. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I found a number of videos on YouTube and from them think I've got everything turned on and understood well enough that the next best thing is to get down into traffic through San Francisco on the trip and really see then how it all works first hand.

16. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Back from trip and finished playing with Nav Traffic.

Set my travel speeds higher then I 'think' they actually are and the travel time estimate is much better. But I still like the Garmin Oregon 400t because it accurately predicts ETA stationary--wherever the unit is while whoever's system it is in the Prius will only predict ETA _after_ you start driving.

I'm back home now with no need for traffic support and the service doesn't even cover my area so I'm planning to discontinue it soon. This might be interesting because XM really tries to rope you into a year while they actually gave me a one-time deal for 3 months for one price.

Overall I did not find the service very useful. On two occasions it said there was traffic up ahead and asked if I would like to be rerouted. I responded 'yes' but that was all that happened. There was no rerouting and no traffic up ahead that was bad enough or in one case there was no alternate way.

In another section I ran into terrible stop and go for over half an hour in Gilroy, CA--a terrible place to have to drive through. The system gave me no clues or alternate warnings. I don't think it actually covered the area and was a total waste for my worst traffic jam on the whole trip.

I found Google Maps with Traffic turned on just before I left on a trip very interesting to use to plot a course through Los Angeles though. I actually tested the system once electing to drive though a more congested area going south rather then take a less congested area that Google Maps said would still take half an hour longer. It was surprisingly accurate to the minute.

Google Maps Traffic / GPS on the cars console would be terrific. But how or when or how much?

17. BCHIKERS2

BCHIKERS2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Haven't used my 2010 nav system since the delivered unit was outdated and the dealer refused to update it to when I bought the car. Used my Garmin since and just bought another Garmin w/lifetime map and traffic updates for less than the cost to update the Prius nav sys. If I could instal the Garmin program in the nav sys I would.