1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 on order: questions re extended protection and breakin period

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Bruceter, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Bruceter

Bruceter New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll be taking delivery of a new 2010 next Tuesday! Really excited!!

The dealer has offered an extended protection package consisting of 1) fabric protection, 2) paint protection & 3) undercoat -- for only $899!

Seems to me I can use 1) A can of Scotchguard, 2) a coat of wax [the car does have clearcoat paint] & 3) a local undercoat service [if undercoating is needed at all?] -- for a lot less.

What do you guys/gals think?

On another topic - break-in period - the owner's manual recommends no sudden stops for first 200kms and for the first 1,000kms no sudden acceleration or constant speed. Is this good enuf or are there better break-in routines?

Thx in advance for your help! :)

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Save your money on the $899 BS, cause' that's what it is.

Break in is easy and painless lol, what's in the manual is fine IMO.

1 person likes this.
  3. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Definitely would not go for the $899 package.

The break-in question hits on something I've been thinking about. My guess is that it isn't possible to abuse a Pruis engine enough to have a long term impact seeing how you have a CVT transmission and a computer handling the rpms.

If anything, you probably won't give it enough rpms to break it in like a non-hybrid car because you will get wrapped up in seeing how may mpg's you can get like I am.

GBC Texas Prius (Toyota Prius) | Fuelly

1 person likes this.
  4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree with the others, save the $899 and put on a good coat of wax, scotch guard is most likely not needed. Do not undercoat the car, it does no good and can be harmful, extra weight, makes things harder to work on, and the car comes with under body covers anyway.

Also don't let them sell you a maintenance contract or an extended warranty. You have 3 years to buy an extended warranty and if you decide you want one you can get the Toyota extended warranty through this site for less than the dealer will sell it to you, probably a lot less.

Enjoy the new Prius! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agree with others--rip off. ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DON'T let them undercoat it! Like others have said save your money. Buy a can of scotchguard, tell the dealer he better give it a good waxing when they prep it for what cars cost nowadays. Take your savings and go have a really super dinner with your new car LOL.

1 person likes this.
  7. KenzoTH

KenzoTH Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All that "protection" is like the old undercoating scam. I agree-save you money. I have two young kids and ScotchGuard the night I took delivery has kept the upholstery like new- even with muddy shoes and car seat booster. I waxed it after a week with a second coat in 30 days and it beads like it is plastic wrapped.

1 person likes this.