1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 or 2007?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bensmail, Dec 20, 2009.

1. bensmail

bensmail New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I've been looking at the 2006-08 Prius but I had never actually been inside one yet so I stopped by the dealership yesterday to take a '07 out for a spin.

I'm a little surprised at the prices for used. 60k miles with a 17k price tag. I've seen some lower prices but on cars that were too far away to easily test drive.

While I was there I got a look at the 2010 model and really like what i saw but I didn't have time to drive one. The sales guy was of course talking up the new model but I just can't bring myself to trust a car salesman.

So.... looking for advice. Should I spend somewhere around 16k on a used 07 with 50-60k miles or go for the 2010 for 7k more? 60k miles seems like half the car to me.

How much better is the new engine, new battery tech, new display?

How many miles should I expect to get out of a Prius before it just starts falling apart? I know Toyota is usually pretty good for higher mileage cars... how about the Prius?

I do like the look of the interior better on the 2010.

Thanks!

2. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would think the improvements and design changes and being new mean a lot and are worth the extra dollars in the long run!

Full Warranty as well....so it's money well spent in my opinion.

I think you should DRIVE both to compare but if it were me, I would take the new 2010.....

Best of Luck in your decision.. :)

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You've got to sit in each, compare the features etc. The two cars are -very- similar. The 2010 is -slightly- larger inside, but has fewer storage places. The 2010 will get -slightly- better mileage. Perhaps 10%. The 2010 has more high-tech options, such as auto-park (sorry to not use the official Toyota name ;) ) and solar powered "cooling". The 2010 should handle a bit better.

Neither car will show its' age after 60k miles. As long as the maintenance service has been done both will be good for 200 to 300k miles.

4. risingsun

risingsun seeker of the way

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The 2010 had enough improvements over the Gen II that I never even considered a used or even a new 2009 on the lot. If you can swing the extra $$, I really think you should seriously consider a 2010 model. If you are worried about paying for it, then go with one that is a few years old.

5. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was in your shoes earlier in the year. I was lucky enough to be ready to pull the trigger during the cash for clunkers. I ended up getting my 10 for less than what a used 08 was going for with 30K miles.

The 10's will hold their value a little longer than a used second generation just because it is the newest version.

If you can get a good deal on a low mileage second generation I'd snag it in a minute. But if the deals are just not there spending a few thousand more for a brand new Prius with all the latest bells and whistles with a three year warranty is well worth it.

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ask in a Gen 3 forum and they'll say to get the 2010.
    Ask in a Gen 2 forum and they'll say to get the 2007.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From a fiscal standpoint get a quality used GenII. If money is not the main concern then go for a new GenIII. It's going to take a long time for you to recoup the extra $7,000 or more on the GenIII.

8. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The '10 is more refined than the '07, though I do miss all the extra storage cubbies.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium

+1

Alternativly, if you are patient, & can wait a bit for the Gen III used market to get bigger (supply & demand) .... & if you absolutely positively HAVE to get the better handling (doesn't bother me) more powerful, higher tech, newer model, you can save a boat load THAT way. In '04, we waited almost 9 months to find a great price on our used '04. Nothing better for the cause of recycling, than buying used.

10. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Both good cars. Some advantages of the 2010 that matter most to me are:
    • More legroom and adjustable seat height for the driver
    • VSA (Vehicle Stabilty Assist) in all models
    • Better traction control
    • Faster warm up
    • Better handling
    • Slightly better fuel consumption
    • More power
    • Slightly bigger inside
    • New body style. Will look current for longer and proably have better resale
    The drivers seating position in the Gen II just did not work for me. If that had not been a factor, I would have considered a Gen II provided it had VSA and there was a large saving in long term cost. This would require a very large saving in initial cost

11. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For me, a taller guy, being able to adjust the 2010 driver seat down (and the bit more headroom in the 2010) made a LOT of difference.

I am told that the seats are more comfortable in the 2010, but I have not been in a previous model.

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The great thing is, that low level of depriciation is your friend once you own the car.
    I'd get new if I could afford it.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Test drive both. The 2010 feels a bit tighter (I've never driven a Gen 2 Touring model so I'm comparing it to the base 15" alloy Gen 2) and feels more upscale. The Gen 2 is of course $7k cheaper and just out of the basic warranty (But all other warranties are still in effect unless they've gone over their mileage, incl the 8-year, 100,000 mile hybrid warranty). It's a little more high tech (the 2010 tries to be more conventional) and I love the storage space in the 2007.

The TRAC has been improved in the 2010 so maybe take both out on a snowy day to see which you prefer.

14. aapoppa

aapoppa formerly known as "Popoff"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    All other things being equal, I would go with the Gen III.

I notice you live in Maine. The performance of my Gen III in slick winter conditions seems to be MUCH better than that of my '05. If for no other reason, that would confirm my decision to go with the newer generation car.

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not necessarily. :)

I've got a 2004, and I'd say get the 2010. It's got more power and better handling. Not to mention less miles, and a much better warranty. ;)

16. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    + :)

17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I meant on average. Not all the responses from Gen III owners are saying go for the 2010 either. You're a Gen II owner visiting the Gen III forum, hence your interest in the 2010. However, there are those who still think the Gen II is a better car and those who absolutely detest the 2010 interior, and they probably won't visit this forum. Likewise, there are people like myself who wouldn't consider the Prius before the 2010 redesign.

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, 'on average' is fair. There's always somebody who doesn't go along with the crowd. ;)

I don't think there's any question the 2010 is a better car than the previous generation. Whether people prefer it or not; that's different. I'm not so keen on the new interior, either, but I'm sure I'd get used to it. I understand the intent was to appeal to a broader range of buyers, and I'd assume that design goal was achieved. Many issues from the previous generation, discussed here in a multitude of threads, were considered by Toyota and addressed in the new version. That's what makes it a better car, and I'm sure the next one will be better still.

19. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Except for all the first year quirks that are popping up. It reminds me of the 2004 model.I'm sure by the 2011 model they will have all the bugs worked out.

I do find it interesting that some of the 2010 owners like to point out that this is a GenIII forum and act like it is some special club and that if you own a GenII and are in here you are on their turf or something. It's kind of odd. I've even been verbally assaulted for accidentally posting GenII pics in this forum like it is some huge issue. lol

20. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Choosing between a 2004-09 and 2010 is a legitimately tough decision.

- Either way you'll have loads of fun driving the car
    - Either way you'll turn heads
    - Either way you'll be helping the environment

If you really want to know, I have never regretted my decision to buy a slightly used 2009.

I visit the Gen III site because I am a green thumb and happen to enjoy the community of ALL Prius owners. However, I do fall in the category of those who dislike the 2010 interior, as you mentioned.