1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Overall Audio Quality

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by beejay, Jun 23, 2009.

1. beejay

beejay New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm very disappointed with the overall audio quality in my new Gen III, 2010 Prius III, JBL- 8 speaker model - and I'm speaking comparitively to my former 2009 Prius II, 6 speaker car. I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow but would like to know if anyone else has the same issues. BTW, I'm a Consumer Electronics Professional and lifelong audiophile. First issue - AM/FM: I listen primarily to FM-radio because I used to work at a radio station and I love the format. I'm finding that the FM tuner cannot seem to grab onto stations - many sound noisy and static-y as if they're not properly tuned, and I lose stations at short distances from the tower (I live in Oakland and had to drive into SF to hear my favorite station without static) AM has engine noise. Second issue: sound quality - it's awful, sounds like my old 9 volt transistor radio and gives me listening fatigue headaches. It sounds thin, muddy and one-dimensional; all of the sound seems to come from the center of the dash as if it were monaural. Voices and vocals are hollow and nasal, guitars, horns, keyboards are all indistinct. I turned off the DSP which improved things somewhat, but I'm still suffering from tinny, hard, one-note treble, poor mid-range clarity, and muffled distorted bass. I've tried every tone and position combination and finally settled on turning down the treble and mids and shifting the balance slightly to the right/rear just to get the sound out off my face. Are the lower front speakers woofers only? If I put my ear to them, I hear low muddled sound but can't really tell. Third: XM-Satellite fades out occasionally, but sound quality is even more brittle and painful than radio.
    How could the sound differ so radically from the 2009? Any thoughts? I'm afraid the dealer will tell me that it's working correctly.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! Worse IYO than a 2009 base audio system?

My 2009 JBL system can do pretty well with the right source. Geez, I would hope the GenIII is an improvement.

3. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Toyota Audio! I still find it truly confounding that Toyota can make one of the worlds most complex and sophisitcated vechiles, and yet can't get an audio system to sound right. Toyota audio generally has terrible spatial imaging issues, poor bass and excessive treble, strange mid-range frequencies that on some songs are either too much or too low, and I quite agree that the audio sounds very monaural. Plus I find that I am constantly fiddling around with Bass and Treble settings on my car because the sound can be so annoying. I commented previously on my 2010 Prius that the JBL sound system should be avoided and just stick with a base stereo, as an aftermarket would be much better.

The dealer unfortunately will be able to do nothing for you, as they have nothing to help with your audio woe's. Your best bet as I found is to replace the speaker wiring with thicker gauge wiring (I don't think you want to do that quite yet though! LOL!) and replace the speakers. Things improve a bit, but not much. Anyway, install a bypass amplifier and it should improve without voiding your warranty.

1 person likes this.
  4. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I drove home from the dealer I left the radio on, as I had no idea how to change anything and didn't want to try while driving. I thought it sounded pretty lame.

Got home, put in some CD's and I'm blown out of the water! The sound is amazing!! So yeah, I think maybe the FM receiver must be pretty bad. I'm wondering if you have an iPod with a FM adapter? If so, you could hook that up and it might sound just as good as the CD's do? Just a thought.

I only listen to CD's so I'm happy with my Audio experience. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That just isn't right -- on many fronts. If you are an audiophile and you could live with the base system on a Gen2, you are a patient person. I didn't like the premium JBL on my 2007, but I found I could live with it just because I liked everything else about the car (well, almost!).

I find the 2010 JBL premium sound to be a major step up. I haven't yet listended to a CD, and I listen primarily to the satellite stations, AM radio and my iPhone (now through BT streaming audio). I find the sound to be significantly better than my '07. The lower road noise and background noise helps a lot. The removal of the giant front, center speaker really helps.

Go back to the dealer and ask to listen to the sound in another 2010. I can't believe yours is right. I had the radio and then the amplifier replaced in my 2007. It was due to some real problems within the amp, so I wouldn't doubt it could happen to you. As others have said, sound systems just don't seem to be high priority with Toyota (Nissan has things in a bit different order).

1 person likes this.
  6. beejay

beejay New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    a priori
    Thanks for the support - I stopped by the dealer today. They want the car for a whole day to drive it around, compare to other 2010's and call for sikmilar complaints - the service mgr agreed that he heard static on the radio and that the in door speakers don't sound right. So with any luck I won't score a "no trouble found". Yeah, the base 2009 system was quite a bit fuller and cleaner - not great great but no objectionable stuff either.

7. josel777

josel777 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same problem here, FM stations sound noisy and staticky. This is by far the worst radio I have ever owned.

I have a Prius II with the base radio.

8. 7th_paramita

7th_paramita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a Prius II and the FM reception is poor. Whereas in my previous car, a Maxima, I was able to get constant good reception, on the same routes now, I loose the reception at times and it deteriorates frequently.

9. PriusCrazy

PriusCrazy Blizzard Pearl for Me

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Same here dmvp. I've noticed a remarkable difference with CD's (MP3 format too).

10. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The trouble with FM makes me think that the antenna might be to blame. Looking at pictures of 2010s it seems that the whip is a bit thicker/shorter than what I have on my 07. The length of the mast is critical to signal gain, and that can make the difference between clean, satisfying sound and a staticy mess. One of you mentioned that it sounds monaural...maybe it is monaural because the radio doesn't have a strong enough signal to pull in stereo? That's what my little hand-held radios do.

I have never owned a car that didn't need an audio upgrade from the factory system. The only reason I haven't done speakers on mine is because I've been listening to news radio (BBC World Service) almost exclusively.

11. Manolo1

Manolo1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All I can say is that the audio on my IV with Solar Pkg (Navigation) is better than it was on my recently sold Lexus IS350 (standard audio, no Mike L). I am specifically referring to the sound of my own Ipod songs. They sound a lot better in my new Prius (with Ipod connector option) than in the other car.

12. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any update?

13. cantgoback

cantgoback Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I test drove a 2010 pkg IV back-to-back with a 2009 pkg6, and even though the sales guy said the system was exactly the same, I thought the 2010 sounded way better than the 2009. Plus my 2010 pkg V sounds good to me on FM, although I don't claim to be an audiophile.

Could this be a general problem with the radio receiver or connections in all 2010 Prii, or just a subset of Prii have this issue?

14. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Get an iPhone, stream the FM station over the net, stop trying to pickup fading FM/AM radio waves.

15. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The JBL (on my V) is fine. I'm coming from a Lexus RX with subwoofer, so a bit tainted but my expectations weren't too high for the Prius sound system anyway.

I'm certainly not an Audiophile. But, I find it OK - barely with Satellite, a bit better with FM, and best with CDs. However, I find it very difficult to get the right fade front <> back. I've seen this complaint here and will echo it. Seems as if the dash front speakers are simply overpowering all others. Then, when adjusting the fade to R4 or so, the entire system sounds weak. And seems to vary between modes, and at times the songs. Just can't seem to find a happy medium. In most cars, set the fader once and AOK until wanting a change.

Not a complaint, simply something that could be addressed and improved. Toyota could go across the aisle to Lexus engineers and get tips. You'd think that Toyota product management would be tired of getting bad audio reviews...

And not to beat a dead horse - the rear view mirror vibration with bass (set at 1 or 2) is irritating. Another engineering issue...

16. cabledave

cabledave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does the 2010 have the center speaker in the dash?

I disconnected mine in our 2006 and it made a huge difference in the sound quality (got the recommendation here).

17. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Following up on the antenna thing: it unscrews for the car wash, so make sure it's all the way in.

Not sure what I think of the JBL audio. Lots of good things and good comments from friends, but there's this nagging muddiness at times and I haven't figured it out.

18. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    2010 JBL is 8 speakers now - no more center speaker.

19. beejay

beejay New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for your response. FYI,the dealersent me a written report letting me know that the staticwas caused by multipath i/f(don't think that's what it is) and that it's"normal". I intend topursue it further. Please let me know if you can add anything, or have spoken to a dealer.

20. jb72

jb72 Junior Member

Model:
    III
    I agree that the radio and sat radio really blow! However ... when I plug my iPod into Aux, it produces some really fine tunz. It borders on a 4-channel simulation. This is the best sound I have ever heard in a car ... OK - so maybe I don't ride in that many cars. Granted, it does not compare with the home stereo, but for tunz in a ride ... I got no complaints.