1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 package III OR 2012 package 2?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Julie Anne, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Julie Anne

Julie Anne New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all- I am looking to buy a certified pre owned Prius. My budget is $20,000 OTD and I cannot decide if I want the package III 2010 with navigation, or if I want to go for the 2012 package 2 with no nav or backup camera. I noticed the 2012's exterior lights are a tad larger and a few minimal interior changes. Anyone have input on the differences between these two, and which you recommend is better? ( considering for my price range they would have somewhat similar mileage).

Thank you!!!

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually default to " It's up To you".

But in this case I'm going out on a limb.

2010 was first model year for Gen 3. 2012 I believe was updated with the LCD touch screen, which I think is really nice.

I have a 2013 Prius 2, so perhaps some prejudice. But from everything I've read, the Prius Navigation is not so great. I personally simply use my Garmin I've had for years. No complaints.

I think I'd go for the newer vehicle.

I was a litttle worried when I got the 2, about not having a back-up camera. But I use blind spot mirrors, and honestly have found no problem with visibility out the back with The Prius.

I keep the rear head rests folded forward when I don't have passengers, and I have been pleasantly surprised with how good the visibility is.

So on the basis of those two specific upgrades, I don't think it's worth it.

If they are to you? Feel free to enjoy the back-up camera and the navigation.

PS.
    In my area, local dealers are selling brand new 2013 Prius Twos, for around 22,500...which is higher than your stated budget. But if you could swing an additional 2,500? That's a new vehicle, with a new vehicle warranty.

If you're looking at a 2012 Prius 2 for 20,000 vs a Brand new 2013 Prius 2 for 2,500 more?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    '10 had some squeak/rattle issues, assuming mileage is lower on the '12 or similar, if you can live without the gps/backup cam, i'd go with the '12. i like having the built in gps, but the toyota is trash and i prefer a garmin. all the best with your decision!(y)

4. ambush

ambush Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I bought the II and installed a mirror with the backup camera in the mirror. The cost was $400. and then I use my Garmin with lifetime updates and lifetime traffic reports. A lot cheaper than the $2000 for the backup with Nav.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is another option. I wouldn't fault anyone if they want a back-up camera and feel more comfortable with one.

I don't know because I've never had Toyota's Navigation, but I've read a lot of posts here on Prius Chat about it, and there is a general reporting of disappointment.

Well, I've always liked my Garmin...so that became a no brainer as far as something I could pass on.

6. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2012 P2... why do you need GPS.. dont you know where you are going? Plus im sure you have a smart phone that has Google maps that comes with FREE turn by turn Navi. Back up camera... isnt there a window in the back to look out, dont you kind of look around before you back up? Why do you really need it. Those are just a couple of questions to ask yourself. Plus i would go for the newer car IMO

7. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I prefer the GPS in terms of how it ties everything together. I'm referring to the many audio options(bluetooth, ipod, Pandora). Might be slightly different on the 2010 though. The Prius is a techy kind of car and GPS fits in well.

8. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    with my 2013 P2 i have bluetooth, ipod and aux plugs... when i run slacker via bluetooth and Google maps with navigation going the navigation voice overrides slacker to tell me when to turn and what not. So essentially i am getting the same effect as built in navi. for a lot less money.
    Plus Slacker has way better play lists the pandora

just my .02¢

9. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I appreciate the ways it's tied together on GPS models not that you can't DIY it.