1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 possible head gasket

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by freshedie92, Sep 27, 2018.

1. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey y'all,

I am a new gen 3 owner, long time gen 2. Learned a lot by reading stuff here but wanted to see what you thought about my new purchase.

2010 ii, 210k, $2500, decent shape, runs and drives.

Story:
    guy lives in mts, at some point it overheats and losing coolant. He takes it to mechanic, they give him run around and offer to buy it for 2800. I figured I can get a motor cheap enough to make this thing sound, but now I think it might not even be bad head gasket. I didn't drive it because the knocking scared me, but now I know it's"normal".

I know the guy said it lost coolant but I'm not sure if it's consuming coolant, def a head gasket, or it overheating and overflowed resulting in lost coolant

Diagnostics:
    When it first started up I heard a horrible knocking that made me decide to have it towed. But I did notice that once running it appeared fine. I took it apart, checked plugs, look fine. Compression is consistent, low, averaging 95, but that's probably due to cold engine and cheap tester.

I didn't notice any water on oil cap, or sludge in dipstick so that's good news. But the pcv valve looked rusty and there was oil/water in the hose and where it attaches to intake. I'm trying to be optimistic but this doesn't look good.

Future:
    I plan on removing egr, and intake for cleaning. Followed by testing water pump, and replacing thermostat. I could use a block tester to see if exhaust fumes are leaking into overflow tank, and confirm head gasket. What do you guys think?

2. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Trouble codes:
    P0300, misfire
    P0303, p0304, cyl 3 and 4 misfire, even compression and plugs looked good, not sure what to make of it.
    P0351, p0352, p0353, p0354, ignition coil primary/secondary circuit. For this one I'm thinking it might be due to battery, it seems like the auxiliary battery is on its last legs. I doubt all coils are bad

3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Two things here.
    1.The knocking sound us as a result of the misfire codes on the #3%#4 cylinders.
    Have the spark plugs checked. If worn, replace them all through.
    If that does not solve it, service the fuel injectors. Might be clogged with carbon deposits on its pintle.

2. The ignition PRI/sec blabla are related to faulty, or none performing ignition coils.
    Considering the mileage on that car, have the coils and the spark plugs replaced.

That should take care of the knocking sound.
    As long as you don't have water mixing in the oil galleries, and also a white smoke coming out from the exhaust when the engine is running, I'd say, you don't have any gasket problem.

A your compression tests were within spec, according to you. So, y you tend to be scared?
    Use the eight viscosity oil, and you're done!

PS: what's the state of the HV battery pack?
    Have you checked that yet? InShot_20170105_171406.jpg InShot_20170105_162857.jpg

4. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I thought knocking might be due to egr circuit. But I might service the injectors just in case, is that a diy with carb cleaner or take the shop?

As for ignition coils I'll check to see if they are in spec and replace as necessary, they are kinda pricey. Plugs look okay too, but rockauto has em for cheap I'll likely replace.

Can't say anything about the white smoke because I was afraid to drive it at first due to the knock and possible head gasket. But It does seem like a good diagnostic now, considering knocks are normalish. I might let to let it run to operating temp, check the fans, block test, check exhaust gases. I can always let it warm up in my driveway wth cowl removed so i don't have to work twice.

Thanks a lot for your input :)

5. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Almost forgot I didn't get hv, but no trouble codes for it yet. I'm hoping it's fine, if not my gen 2 battery is in impeccable shape, it's actually a low mile gen 3

6. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd you're a DIYer, you could service the injectors. But if you not, a dealership would be fine.
    You can use a carb cleaner to do that.

PS: did you temper with the ignition coils before now?
    Reasons being if you sis unplugged them, you'd get ignition coils primary blabla coming on, except you clear the codes.
    But if you didn't, then those two coils are bad.
    You can get good uses ones at any close by salvage yard.

Nice to hear your HV battery pack is OK.

amos likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Clean the egr circuit front to back.

How do you know that it isn’t consuming coolant if you’ only done short runs?

What inspection of the water pump were you going to do? The Gen3 is electric, so nothing to check. I replaced the water pump in our 2010’s at 173 k miles as preventative maintenance and when I pulled the pump, there was more resistance than the new one that replaced it. That’s the second pump I’ve found this to be the case on.

You say your other battery is from a low mileage Gen3. How old are the modules?

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

m.wynn and amos like this.
  8. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Water pump inspection:
    Simply use techstream to test that it spins. Considering it costs 200 dollars I don't want to replace it unless it's leaking or not working. Thermostat is cheap and a good to replace. This thing overheated for some reason.

Coolant consumption:
    I don't know, but I can use diagnostics to try, since I'd rather not drive it with bad head gasket. So far good even compression is a good news. Once it's cleaned and running I will run a block test on radiatior fluid to test for exhaust gases. If you can think of a better way I'm all ears, that's why I posted :).

Battery:
    The gen 3 modules are in my gen 2 prius, I recently viewed live data. The difference between highest and lowest voltage module was .15 v, I would say that's darn good. I think they are from a 2013 or 2012

amos likes this.
  9. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Coils:
    I hadn't done anything with the car, I basically got it home, read codes stored data, and erased. I know there's some things that needed to get done so I'm inspecting, replacing things as needed, then I'll run it and look for codes. I probably won't replace them unless they are out of spec due to cost. Although junk yard is a good idea.

10. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Update:
    Got the car running with all lights off.

Repairs:
    Cleaned intake manifold, egr, egr cooler, assoc pipes, changed pcv, changed thermostat. I did not clean injectors. I wanted to see how it ran without it seeing as how removing injectors will be the same with manifold on or off.

Current state:
    Appears no overheating as of now, runs well, but horrible knocking on cold start ups, despite being warmed up earlier in day. I live in California It doesn't get very cold. 60 to 70 f right now.

Plans:
    Get an oil catch can. It seems people are reporting mitigation of knocking. It's bad knocking and knocks every cold start

Side note:
    I had an abs light, for c1203, c1345. I went into techstream to perform solenoid valve relearn. It solved all my lights. It's done under active test under abs pcm takes 120 sec to do

11. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you sure the small EGR ports in the intake manifold are clear? These can be hard to clean - I used pipe brushes, detergent, lots of water and elbow grease.

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I use carb cleaner in the small ports by the larger intake port. Specifically I sprayed using the plastic pipe and went through each port. It's easy enough to remove again to clean, but I don't have a glimmer of hope that my problem is due to that.

m.wynn, Raytheeagle and mjoo like this.
  13. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That came out harsh. Don't know how to edit lol. Thanks for the opinion, I'm just jaded that cleaning didn't appear to do much regarding the knocking

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It might be rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic? :(

Cold engine the head gasket leaks more, then tightens up some as the engine warms up?

Hot, concentrated Oxi-Clean solution, left in the intake to soak for an hour, and repeat 3~4 times, is quite effective, coupled with mechanical cleaning, pipe cleaners etcetera. But again, Titanic is listing time?

Soon after pour-in:

upload_2018-10-5_19-37-35.png

About an hour later:

upload_2018-10-5_19-38-24.png

The "plume" at each EGR vent:

upload_2018-10-5_19-39-29.png

#14 Mendel Leisk, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  15. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did a compression test on a cold engine. Compression was low, but consistent. I'm not a trained mechanic but it would be surprising to me to see consistency in a bad head gasket. At this point I'm thinking the gasket is fine.

I like those pictures. They definitely help tell a story. I might try out your method if I remove the manifold again.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. xerox6135

xerox6135 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Get a bore scope and pull the plugs before doing a cold start. I bet you will see coolant in at least one of the cylinders. It doesn't take as much coolant as you think to cause a knock . You want to catch it before you bend a connecting rod.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's a bit of a sand pounder, Toyota....: in order to do that boroscope inspection, which involves removing the spark plugs, you first need to remove the wiper arms, bottom of windshield trim, wiper motor/linkage, disconnect various wires and remove the large metal cowl at bottom of windshield.

18. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's like you are a fortune teller. I just noticed coolant loss. Ive driven it 500 mi and the coolant tank was completely empty. I checked it because i heard gurgling. I am more certain of head gasket now.

It must be pretty small though. I'm wondering if it's actually a small crack or warp. Any help with this would be a big help. Is there any way to know if the connecting rods are in bad shape without popping the pistons. Also should I be concerned about bearing damage if there doesn't appear to be oil water commingled?

Head gasket shouldn't be that bad, what will suck is that it's my only car. And I need to transport the head to machine shop. I guess I'll be lugging a head with me on the city bus

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just in case you don't know this: if the head gasket fails in a way that allows a cylinder to fill with coolant, when the piston tries to come up it encounters an uncompressible liquid, and something has to give.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are correct. That's probably why when it starts after sitting it gives a horrible racket. I never ended up doing a block test, I'll be doing that soon. I'm hoping it's just a head gasket. Interesting that this thing runs well (expect when it freshly starts) and doesn't appear to be habitually vape fiend

Mendel Leisk likes this.