1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius ‘check hybrid system’

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dom4, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Dom4

Dom4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I’ve only recently owned this car and it has 150k miles on it. Since casually driving, the warning message ‘check hybrid system’ and engine light came on. Nothing feels wrong with the car and everything seems ok. It still starts and let’s me drive in all mode including EV and charges the hybrid battery, though my partner who was driving the car said the car seemed less powerful. I had a look in the back and noticed the 12v battery is dated July 18th 2009. This battery is 10 years old! Though my question is, how certain can I be that this could be the problem. In ACC mode the car lights and everything works perfect. For it to last this long was it reconditioned or just got lucky with its life span or are they meant to last this long? Will a 12v battery fault cause the ‘check hybrid system’ message. I disconnected and reconnected the battery and the message and engine light came off and I drove it for about 5 minutes. Though I feel driving more it could reappear again. Should I just change the battery anyway before seeing a mechanic to see if the message will reappear again?

2. Dom4

Dom4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The only true way to know is have the codes read ;).

Techstream is one way that is common to do so:).

Where is Hobart at:whistle:?

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    A battery that old needs to be replaced

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    10 years? :rolleyes:

Even if that's not your problem...replace your 12VDC battery.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    "Check Hybrid System" warning can be anything, get the codes read, at dealership it'd be around $75~100. It's a catch-all warning. Do you have anything plugged into the OBD port, constantly while driving. That caused CHS warning on ours.

Yes, it's way overdue. For future: you can do a rudimentary check of battery voltage with a digital volt meter, more better with something like Solar BA5. But yeah, replace first.