1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 prius 12 volt battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by venik212, Nov 10, 2015.

1. venik212

venik212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Westchester Toyota dealer just charged me $350 to replace the 12v battery in my 2010 Prius (40000 miles). I view it as highway robbery. Is that common?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! highway robbery, or $350. for a battery? yes.:cool: you can buy batteries as low as $150. or so, depending on what sales are available at the time, but dealers are usually around $200. and they soak you for the 15 minute install. it pays to ask first.

WilDavis likes this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ouch!!!!!! :mad: (Try BatteryMart.com) http://www.batterymart.com/p-9a51p-agm-prius-auxiliary-battery.html?Category_Code=toyota-prius-smartkey-system-battery - hope this helps - Wil

Sorry, I should have read more carefully. I think I'd return it, tell them where to stick it, and get the one from BatteryMart.com - BTW - Welcome to PriusChat! :)

m.wynn likes this.
  4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    That's the price to have the convenience of driving to an specialized place and have it done for you while you relax in their customer service lounge with climate controlled environment and some free coffee.
    Convenience has its price.............:rolleyes:

toyotechwv likes this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Highway robbery? Certainly.
    Common? Yes, it is in the high normal range for dealerships. The battery is surprisingly expensive, and dealership markups are significant. While the average price is lower, comparison shopping is usually needed to get it done at a dealership for under $300. You must DIY to get it under $250.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The price of the OEM battery (and batteries in general) has jumped of late. A year back, at local Canadian dealerships the battery at the parts counter was around $310, but just recently when I checked it was $371. Ended up getting a mail order Optima for $329, much higher Cold Cranking Amp rating, will see how it goes.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mendel, your canadian prices are ridiculous. do you make more money up there?(n)

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well batteries have jumped all over. But yeah, there was CBC Marketplace episode on just that, cost comparing various items. It's not crazy, but when the dollars were at par it was even more frustrating.

I was doin' ok up until about 18 months back, when the tap got turned off, and it was "hey, I wanted to retire anyway" time. Just hanging in there now.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here, fixed income is no fun.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably a price ratchet: not dropping when your currency climbed to about par (last par was 2.5 years ago), but ticking up every time the exchange rate falls, now CAD$1.327 per US$1.

I believe the rate is somewhat connected to oil prices. Did Alberta share any of their oil wealth when they had it?

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I read in some business news: milder winters meant batteries lasting longer, meant less recycled lead, leading to higher battery prices. I think the central region and east coast didn't get that memo though, lol.