1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius 17" OEM Rims on 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by [Prius], Apr 24, 2011.

1. [Prius]

[Prius] New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello,

The 2008 prius will be due for new tires soon. It's currently riding on the OEM 15" caps (see attachment) mounted on rims. Since tires are probably going to cost anywhere from $400-$600, I am considering finding a set of OEM 17" rims (see attachment) from the 2010 prius. It's the wife's car, and I have to convince her that this mod will not kill any gas mileage (she's accustomed to achieving 55MPG, so a drop isn't ideal in favor of nicer rims and tires).

Not only will this be an aesthetic upgrage, this will also allow us to purchase a nicer set of tires for improved road handling. The stock tires are freaky feeling (wanders), in my book, and I probably drive it once a month.

I searched and could not find too many threads with the relevant tire & rim combo.

Questions:

Main: Will the 17" lug pattern mate with with the 15" pattern?

1. Will the diameter of the actual 17" rim+tire (lower profile) be larger than the rims it is currently sitting on? I made a quick/easy measurement, and from side to side of the tire measures roughly 24".

2. If the 17" rims with lower profile tires are larger than the 15" set, how dramatic will this affect gas mileage, if any at all?

3. If the 17" set comes with TPMS, can these be used instead of having to remove and exchange the TPMS set from the 15" rims?

Attached Files:

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not sure about an answer since I don't get into mods like this but if you have a touring 2008, I think they have 16" rims, not 15" rims. The non touring models have 15" rims.

3. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Answers:
    Yes - the bolt patterns for the Gen II and Gen III are the same: 5x100.
    1. It really depends on what size tires you plan on purchasing. Ideally, you want to keep it around the same diameter: which I think is roughly 25". If you go with 215/45 17s, the diameter will be similar to stock. This will keep the speedometer reading similar.
    2. Most people have reported MPG drop... anywhere from 4-6 MPG, even with the LRR tires. This is due to the higher weight of the Gen III OEM 17s and the larger contact patch (additional rolling resistance) of the 17" tires. You'll (or your wife) will experience a harsher ride as well due to less sidewall.
    3. If they come with Toyota supplied TPMS, you could have the dealer reset the sensors for you. Not sure of what they will charge, but I was quoted approximately $100 by my dealer.

And Paradox is correct, you have the Touring 16" rims and tires. Personally, I would stick with the 16s. They are a good compromise between economy and handling.

4. [Prius]

[Prius] New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks guys. Yes, 16", I was researching tires the other day but couldn't remember the size while I was typing.

If she saw a 4-6 MPG drop, I think she'd be dissapointed, but I'd be fine. I drive a MKV GTI and RDX, so in my book, Prius gas MPG is still superior with the 17" rims and 4-6 MPG loss.

However, the ride now is very bouncy, and I suspect thin tires are to blame and not to mention road noise. Each pothole is felt through the cabin and can be very uncomfortable, although I am use to it.

Well, since this isn't my car, I was only hoping that the tradeoff wouldn'nt sacrifice too many (obvious) MPG drops, and I think I will have the tires replaced instead. This was my main concern.

Thanks

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi MPG and Paradox nailed it so I don't have much to add except choose your new tires well. A bad choice in tires will cause a big drop in MPG even if you stay with the stock wheels. Make sure to let the wife know that even great LRR tires may cause a reduction in MPG until they break in.