1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius, 171K, New to me, just got P0A80 C1259 C1310

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Typingmonkey, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Typingmonkey

Typingmonkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi there,

Newbie here. I have been searching and using this great forum since I acquired a 2010 Prius with 171k miles about a month ago. I am trying to synthesize the pages of advice on here but I'm not sure I've been successful.

Yesterday, the "Check Hybrid System" warning came up. Drove it home (a few miles). Plugged in Techstream and got codes P0A80, C1259, C1310.

That's all I had time for.

Questions:
    1. Would battery replacement be a good next step? If not, what would a better next step be? I am thinking that given the age of this car, trying to diagnose and replace individual HV cells would be frustrating and time-consuming. A local vendor (can't link, sorry) sells refurbished batteries $1400 with 3 year warranty. Worth it?
    2. Carfax reports that there is an open recall on this VIN which has to do with an inverter failsafe condition. How does that play in here? Should I worry about that before or after resolving these codes?
    3. Is it safe to drive short distances around town (less than 10 miles) in this condition?

Many thanks,
    Kevin

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Next step is to find out how long till warning lights come back... You might have two seperate issues, one with braking system and one with HV pack.

As long as you have the ability to clear codes while you're out driving odds are you can make it home safe after short trips. It's premature to decide to replace hybrid battery until you have more data. Consider an OBD2 bluetooth device with Dr. Prius App on your phone... It's way easier than Toyota Techstream because they put best data on main screen and easier to carry an OBD2 device in your glove box than a laptop.

If you're referring to Joe at https://2ndlifebattery.com/ he does high quality rebuilds and has $30K in gear... Of course for a few hundred dollars more, plus doing labor yourself you can buy a brand new OEM pack that will be good for a decade rather than just a few years.

Typingmonkey likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There isn't any braking issue being reported there. C1259 and C1310 are the relay codes used by the brake ECU to report that there is a hybrid-system code, the aforementioned P0A80.

Typingmonkey and PriusCamper like this.
  4. Typingmonkey

Typingmonkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the quick synopsis and guidance, @PriusCamper. I have a Bluetooth OBDII interface so I'll download Dr. Prius and go from there. And yes, 2ndlifebattery is the one I'm referring to.

5. Typingmonkey

Typingmonkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmmm...
    • Downloaded Dr. Prius
    • Cleared codes
    • "check hybrid system" message immediately returns
    • Disconnected battery for 5 minutes
    • Codes and CHS message are still present
    • Cleared codes again
    • CHS message returns immediately
    • Dr. Prius reports P0A80, P0A0D, no matter how many times I try to clear codes.
    • Car will not go into drive, only neutral
    • Tried going into "maintenance mode" via Dr. Prius, no change
    Did I miss something?

Oh, and I've attached the battery info from Dr. Prius. This is with the car in park.

Attached Files:

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your P0A0D refers to the safety interlock circuit that's provided to help you not fry yourself on high voltage.

Most commonly, it will mean that somebody took out the orange safety service plug on the traction battery, and did not put it all the way back in with the handle pushed all the way home.

That will definitely lock the car out from going READY.

7. Typingmonkey

Typingmonkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, guilty as charged... I'm dumb and didn't put the orangd safety plug in correctly on the hybrid battery yesterday... With it correctly inserted, I was able to clear the codes. Will see how long it lasts.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  8. Typingmonkey

Typingmonkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I used Dr. Prius to log data on a couple short (<10 min) drives today. I looked at the CSV files later and see that voltage differences (Vmax-Vmin) are usually around 0.1-0.4V, but peaked at 2.2V. Cause for concern?