1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius 2 from Burnsville Toyota (Minnesota)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Jim E., Dec 10, 2010.

1. Jim E.

Jim E. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Picked up my 2010 Prius 2 yesterday: Light silver w/dark gray interior. Here in Minnesota, all car colors have the prefix “road salt-” during winter, so road salt-silver seemed slightly more attractive than the darker colors like road salt-blue, road salt-red, black, etc. And I was too cheap to pay more for road salt-Pearl White. I had a similar strategy regarding my choice of interiors: I am very messy, so my hope was the inevitable coffee stains won’t be quite so noticeable against the darker background. (…except I take cream in my coffee! Oh no…)

All negotiations were done in advance via phone & email. So all & all, this was about as painless a process as I have ever encountered. In & out, lickety-split. I know others here have won better deals, but I was satisfied w/$21,739. I was then given an additional $1000 rebate from Toyota which was applied to that amount. (My finance lady Amy said she did not expect the $1000 Toyotathon rebate would extend to 2011.) I was also given fair trade-in for my 2004 Ford Taurus, which was valuable to me since that saved the hassle of having to sell it myself.

Re extra warranties: Because we have 3 months or 36,000mi to pay for whatever extended warranty we may need later on, the only extra protection I financed was a 1 year extension of Toyota Care for $265, and a 5-year insurance policy for road hazards for my wheels & tires ($359). I think these added about $7 or $8 to my monthly payment? Seemed reasonable at the time.

Re tire & wheel protection: Here in New Ulm (a.k.a “Cornville”), the streets have been liberally sprinkled with roofing nails following periods of high winds last summer, after which roofing contractors began descending upon us in droves from miles around. I think they are related to folks in the tire repair business. That’s why it seemed to make sense for me to buy tire & wheel insurance.

I did pay cash to have an EBH installed ($106.39 total), rather than roll that into the loan.

My sales guy Josh mentioned that he’s sold 7 Prius’s so far this December (it’s only the 10th!), but that most customers seem to be gravitating more towards the upscale 4 & 5’s rather than the basic 2 that I bought. Guess that makes me a miser J. He also warned me that it would be cheaper to buy floor mats elsewhere than pay dealer prices, so my elderly mother said she wants to buy me a set of Weathertech’s for Christamas! I gave her a hyperlink to the correct page on the PriusChat store.

I have gained a lot of good insight from PriusChat. I have also read the manual. Which isn't to say I'll remember or understand everything. That's why I'm glad there's PriusChat!

Thanks,

~Jim

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [​IMG]

That photo was taken only 1 mile from the Burnsville dealership, just minutes after leaving there from getting service done last winter. They removed the salt while I was there, no charge, so photos afterward were just a given. Being that clean is a rare event.

I've had great experiences there. My previous 2 Prius came from them and my next (a PHV model) will too.

It's good to hear you were treated well... and you got your Prius before the 12" of snow coming tonight, followed by extreme cold temperatures. You'll get to find out how impressive the hybrid system is right away!

Enjoy your new Prius.

3. Jim E.

Jim E. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks John!! It's always fun to find other MN Prius ambassadors, & especially ones with as much knowledge & insight as you. I have also enjoyed your website, although I did get caught watching one of your videos here @ work :-(

I thought I'd block off the lower & upper grills later tonight using the methodologies illustrated in other active threads. Which is about the extent of my DIY skills.

I'm having a blast :)

PS: FABULOUS photo!!!

4. srithi

srithi New Member

Model:
    II
    Hi Jim,

I am on the market looking to buy 2010 Prius II. I have been to Burnsville but my quote was $22,227, no floor mats. I am going with 0% apr so the $1000 incentive is a moot point.

I am wondering if your price $21,739 with floor mats, additionally you indicated that you got $1000 incentive but mentioned something about finance. Please explain if you got the $1000 incentive as well 0% financing. I really appreciate if you could share any details on the pricing and the person you have worked with that may help me save me some money.

TIA

5. srithi

srithi New Member

Model:
    II
    Just for facts I am working with the same Brunsville toyota dealership with Brian.

6. Jim E.

Jim E. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tia,

A few of the 2010 Prius II's they have in stock are subject to something called "internet pricing." As I recall, they had 3 cars similar to mine with the same $21,739 internet price: All 3 happened to be road salt-silver/metallic, but as I recall there was also a choice of light vs dark-gray interiors. These prices do not include floor mats, unless you count the paper floor mat the shop uses when detailing the car before delivery... & those were free :)

Ask about their internet specials. If your sales person does not happen to be in the internet sales department & becomes puzzled, you might give them a stock# of 650, or 651. (#651 will definitely indicate being "sold" in their system, as that was the car I drove away in... but it might be useful as a point of reference.)

I worked with Josh, primarily, & my finance lady was Amy. Both are good people.

7. srithi

srithi New Member

Model:
    II
    Thanks for the all the details Jim. My pricing is internet pricing. When the final price settled at $22,227, I countered with $21,750 and the sales person took me to the sales manager. The manager said he can not even scratch $3 dollars off of their price $22,227, I said fine and walked out.

Yesterday Brooklyn Park Toyota offered the same model with the original factory floor mats for $21,800. (This price does not include the $75 documentation, $400 title, 6.5% tax). Since I am going with zero percent financing, I am not qualified for the $1000 incentive.

If I assume right you went with a 0% and an additional $1000 incentive correct ? Or you got a 0% financing and $1000 incentive. That will be a super deal.

BTW, not sure if I get flamed but if you do not know Toyota is giving $500 prepaid debit card just for tweeting. I got one yesterday, thought you could benefit out of it search Toyotathon Shareathon tweet in google.

Hope you are enjoying your new Prius, but the blowing snow today just sucks. Oh ... Minnesota :cool:

1 person likes this.
  8. Jim E.

Jim E. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Tia,

Brrrr! The snow stopped in New Ulm a couple hours ago, so I hope this event has come to an end for you too. My dad is a driver for Metro Mobility up in the Cities. He said they were shut down today, & that they may be shut down again tomorrow, depending on how how well the snow plows progress. He also remarked there is fierce competition in the jigsaw puzzle center, but that he's just reading a book.

I just came in from digging my Prius from out of a snowbank. Since I lack an accessible garage, I get to park on the street. New Ulm lacks the draconian snow emergency rules you enjoy up in the Cities, so I get to park anywhere & shovel at leisure. I also just wasted Lord knows how much gas turning the cabin heat up to 80, and eventually, after about an hour, the 1/4" sheet of ice finally melted from the windows enough so I could drive it away & park somewhere plowed.

The hybrid system started right up, and the traction control came in handy as well. I like how this car behaves in the snow.

Two other really nice things happened to me tonight:

• (a) 2 very young enlisted guys in Army fatigues home on leave for the holidays insisted on stopping & helping me shovel (wouldn't take no for an answer -- like they were bound & determined to fill up the old Karma jar, whether I liked it or not :)) and
    • (b) I got to read your message on the Toyotathon Tweet deal... so I signed right up, & Tweeted away.

I got an email congratulating me on my new Toyota. They are processing my information, and promise to send the results shortly. A $500 debit card will come in quite handy, given that I'm essentially broke after financing a new Prius ... so I can't even begin to express the depth of my gratitude for sharing that info: Roughly $500 worth, at least!

I think you got an excellent deal by sticking to your guns. As for me, I'm happy with my deal too, although I'm one of the few people around who didn't quite qualify for 0% (I am SO ashamed!), so the rebate came in especially handy for me.

Thanks again & stay toasty,

~Jim E.

9. Tonic

Tonic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrat on the new car! Yes i was in the same situation than you i live in canada so we have long and salty winter! I love dark color but i went with blizzard pearl but i do have to admit that sylver is probably the best choice i would have made! :)

Enjoy your new ride!

10. Jim E.

Jim E. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Tonic! I have a friend who lives in Montreal. In honor of his visit last summer, we put up a bilingual welcome sign "Bienvenue Jean-Louis!" Canadians are cool. I approve of our friends from the North :)

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you're in the neighborhood, it would be worthwhile to take them up on this notice they just sent out...

ATTENTION BURNSVILLE TOYOTA CUSTOMERS:

Tomorrow Only!

Come in and see a prototype Plug In Prius tomorrow, December 16th, 2010,

only at Burnsville Toyota 9:30 AM.

Learn about the latest technology that will soon be coming to an upcoming Prius model first hand. Bring all your questions. Toyota is here to answer them.

This is only tomorrow morning at

Burnsville Toyota - 14730 Buck Hill Road, Burnsville, MN 55044

Any questions, please contact us at 952-435-8200

We will see you tomorrow morning at Burnsville Toyota!!