1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 prius 3 with 121000 miles on it, should i do the 100k maintenance?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cmamoulelis, Jul 10, 2014.

1. cmamoulelis

cmamoulelis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    my 2010 prius 3 has 121000 miles on it and runs good. i change the oil every 10k at the dealership, and change the cabin filter and air filter myself every 10k. tires are rotated at costco every 10k for free. brakes are still good.

is there anything i really need the 100k service for?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whatever is in the maintenance manual. it's not much, but worth doing. i would do the 120k service, plus anything you skipped along the way.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. cmamoulelis

cmamoulelis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thanks for the replies. i just looked at the 100k and i dont' see what i'm paying for? basically checking fluid levels??

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    120,000 does include a spark plug change, as well.

(we can only show you what Toyota, recommends, ignore what the dealer recommends if it is not on that list, and not a transaxle fluid change)

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [Moved from Prius v forum to Gen3 forum]

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tony, are you on vacation or something?:cool:

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You need to do the spark plugs, engine coolant, inverter coolant, transaxle fluid change and brake fluid flush.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That seems like overkill. We're at 45000 km, yet to change either of those filters. Depends on air conditions I guess.

You mean pad thickness? If it's not been done, you really should disassemble a bit, pull the caliper pins, clean and relube. If DIY, be careful with the rear piston, it's cross pattern orientation is important on re-assemble. Look at the imprint on the shim for correct orientation. Turn it clockwise as needed.

Also good to disconnect the 12 prior, and pump brake pedal several times to build up pressure, after.

10. CSMgms

CSMgms Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm curious, after 121K miles have there been any repairs or issues that would have made an extended warranty worthwhile? I'm 16K miles away from having to decide and I am leaning towards not making the purchase based on the reliability record evidenced on PriusChat.

ibmoses and robertk328 like this.
  11. MagyarPrius

MagyarPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Sparkys and coolant change for sure. Also, make sure you use the Toyota coolant if you do it yourself.

12. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unless you are still in warranty, there's no reason to buy the overpriced Toyota coolant. Any coolant rated for 100K miles that matches the specs will do the job (Toyota's coolant isn't special...just made for them). Also, if you do it yourself, be sure to find a way to properly clean and flush the whole system. Toyota WON'T do it unless you pay a lot more. They are content to drain and refill the system and call it done. They pulled that on my dad with his Highlander. We just disconnected one of the coolant hoses to do a "flush" after running the cleaner and to ensure all the water/cleaner was out of the system before refilling.

13. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also curious if any repairs were needed that would have made an extended warranty a good idea.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There is no such thing as a 'flush' where coolant is concerned. Drain and Fill.

As for the coolant itself, DO NOT buy any old '100k' mile coolant. Either buy OEM or the same spec as Toyota. I only know of one alternative, branded as Zerex and called 'Asian long life'. Around a year ago I bought 6 gallons for $66 shipped from zorotools.com

If you are interested in Chemistry details, coolants tend to group into those that are silicate or phosphate based, with or without borate, and then further sub-group based on the use of either 2-HA or sebacate. Toyota SLLC is a phosphate based borate free anti-freeze that uses sebacate.

These details matter because the manufacturer chooses metals, rings and gaskets to match the coolant. Mismatches lead to early degradations and leaks.

#14 SageBrush, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    The Critic likes this.
  15. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How do you propose CLEANING out any gunk that accumulates over the 100K up to the drain and fill? All systems have to deal with this issue.

More so, as I pointed out, Toyota WILL NOT do it correctly for an affordable price. The Highlander required removing plugs in the engine block to completely drain the system. The service Toyota offered was a basic "drain and fill" meaning they don't even get 100% of the old coolant out first....but they charge for 100% of the capacity your system needs.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Use the correct coolant and follow the recommended changes intervals to avoid the problem in the first place. From my reading, the problem you are describing is common in silicate based coolants that have been used past their recommended life, and from the very poor practice of mixing different coolant chemistries together. The latter practice is usually seen in those owners who just buy the cheapest stuff in the store because "it is all the same."

Much more so than in earlier cars, the coolant and oils are part of a package engineered to play nice and extend the life of the mechanical and electric car components. Play by the rules, meaning use fluids spec'd to Toyota recommendations and follow the maintenance schedule. Then you will not have to improvise to remove 'gunk', or deal with failing pumps and leaking radiators due to incompatible coolants.

#16 SageBrush, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  17. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So the "rules" have changed in newer engines? Even as recent as 2000, most any coolant system, even with changing coolant every 2 years, you were to "clean and flush" the system to remove buildup.

18. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Correct. Some of the older systems called for a flush and fill at prescribed intervals by the OEMs.

All of the newer Toyotas and Hondas call for drain and refills. As Sage mentioned, the chemistry varies significantly on a lot of these ext life coolants. The so-called universal coolants do not have the correct chemistry for each application.

I have yet to see an Asian vehicle with "lots of gunk" in the cooling system, that required chemical flushing. As long as you drain and refill at the correct interval, you shouldn't have any issues.

The intervals take into account the amount of coolant removed. If you notice, the manual calls for the first service at 100k, and subsequent services are done every 50k. Honda and Nissan also take a similar approach.

19. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can't find any reference to "flush" in the Toyota manuals for my 2014 Four, they just say "drain and refill". And they are very adamant about using Toyota Super Long Life or equivalent coolant, with a list of "non-" ingredients, as in non-silicate, etc. They don't mention engine problems per se if you don't, only the probability of having to change the coolant more often, but I can see silicates, etc., having an adverse affect on hoses, gaskets, etc.