1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius IV not 4 because it is a 2010 JBL HU replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Tzsuh, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Tzsuh

Tzsuh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello!

I just recently bought a used 2010 Prius IV not 4 because only 2010 Prius used uppercase Roman numerals for model designation, great car with low mileage and I'm loving most of it... except the dated HU and equally dated Nav (hasn't ever been upgraded, so still showing 2010 maps). The dealer did say they could update the maps, but it would cost something like $200 to update and it feels like if I'm going to spend that much just on maps, I may as well spend a bit more and upgrade the whole HU.

I've looked online for guides or info, and I did find some (like one on crutchfield, I'd link it but can't because I'm new here), but I've already read that replacing the non-JBL version is much easier than replacing the JBL one.

I'd love to hear from anyone that has done this, or any info about it. Even suggested units would be amazing!! (The cheaper the better for that!)

2. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    edit: Priuschat does not condone illegal activities

#2 NavyLCDR, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2017
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What does "dated" mean? (n)

4. spiff72

spiff72 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I replaced the HU on my 2010 Prius IV. I had the non-Nav JBL HU.

I replaced it with the Pioneer 4100NEX, which I found a great deal on as an Open Box display model from Best Buy (right after the 4200NEX) came out. I really wanted Android Auto.

I bought all the necessary harnesses and trim kits from Crutchfield, plus the maestro ADS-MSW steering wheel control adapter.

The install went OK for the most part, but I am a bit disappointed in the overall sound quality. I am not sure if this is the fault of the non-upgraded speakers, or the way that the adapter harness that uses the JBL amp.

Some day i might want to try a component speaker upgrade for the dash "squawkers" and the front door speakers, and I think I would like to bypass the JBL amp at some point, and just drive the speakers with the speaker-level outputs of the HU. If I recall correctly, i think that the speaker level outputs of the new HU are what feed the JBL amp currently. I need to do a bit more research on the wiring changes that would be needed to bypass the JBL amp.