1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius and receiver recognizing key fob

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by FLP, Feb 27, 2010.

1. FLP

FLP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Has anyone else had a problem with their 2010 recognizing the key fob. Last week I couldn't get my car to open and run right away. I had to open it with the key and then bring the fob close to the ignition, as if the battery was low in the fob. When I spoke to a service guy at the dealer about it, he said it was unlikely that I would need a new battery so soon. It was about 59 degrees outside, at the time this happened. He suggested it could be a problem with the receiver and that the car would need to spend a day there in order to see if they could replicate the problem. Another point, when I got the car home, I was able to open and close the doors with the same fob from my kitchen as the car sat in the garage. I tend to leave the car unlocked, in my garage at night. I did purchase a new battery for that fob, but I'm using the other one now, and don't seem to be having a problem with it. Oh, I keep my fob in a pocket in my purse and the cellphone was on at the time, but not next to it.

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Probably electronic noise in the area where the keyfob didn't work. It's nice when the keyfob works in your pocket, but occasionally it doesn't. In 4 years of using my 2006, I've had to use the mechanical key a few times. Still on the original battery.

3. FLP

FLP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I hope your right and it was due to electronic noise. All I know is that I took the keyfob out of my pocket and pushed the buttons with no response. I had to use the built in key to open the car door. This happened in a veterinarian's parking lot where I have been before. I actually had to manually lock the doors, because the car wouldn't let me lock it by touching the door handle. Truthfully, I was a bit upset at the time, because I had a sick cat with me. (She was put to sleep, later that day.) It hasn't happened to me since, but I am using the other keyfob and I hope it doesn't happen again. It was a bit unnerving, considering what else was going on at the time.