1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Available for Purchase When?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sleuth, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Sleuth

Sleuth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I understand the 2010 will be available in January 2009 in Detroit at the Auto Show. Practically speaking, when will it be available for purchase. I would assume the 2009 would be available in the fall of 2008. Spoke with a number of dealers who claim to know nothing.

2. kettleone

kettleone New Member

I just don't think that is known at this point. I have seen comments that it will be available in April for purchase but who knows. I would assume that at the latest, this type of info will be given out in January when it is shown to the public. I hope it is released in April or earlier since I have a lease that is up in the middle of April and since it is my only car, I may have to buy something temporary but that is something I want to avoid.

3. Yak18

Yak18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I read summer '09 somewhere. Given the waiting list that's bound to develop I think you're looking at winter '09 before you are behind the wheel of one. Which is about normal for new cars.

4. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I believe I read an article online somewhere that said realistically, it will be Fall of 2009 before the 2010s will be available for purchase.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    If they release on time, available for fleets in April while the general public will have to wait at least 6 months if not longer.

6. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

This is what is known for certain. The 2010 Gen3 Prius will introduced at the NAIAS in Detroit in January.. It will be different. That's it!! Everything else is speculation.

Now as to speculation...

It probably will begin to leave the production lines in Apr 09, be stocked somewhere until enough of them are available then shipped sometime in June 09 to arrive first on the WC then EC/Gulf.

Summer sometime is a good estimate to see one in real life.

You can place and order anytime a store will take your order. When you actually get it??? Pull helps. I'll speculate that supply will be ultra tight through the end of the year 09, maybe '10 depending of fuel prices. If gas goes to $5+ and sticks there they may be sold out for a long time.

The original Prius Pioneers will likely have first crack at buying one if they wish. I'd estimate that they will be contacted in late Jan/Feb to place their orders. After that it's who you know, how big your local store is and how much they've been promoting Prius' since the beginning.

7. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt very very seriously if the fleets will get any before the general retail public gets at least some.

The fleets are bottom-fishing buyers who are used by the automakers to level off demand. I wouldn't be surprised if the fleets are pushed back to then end of the year on a very limited scale. Every fleet sale is one more production unit that could have been sold to a retail buyer at, presumably, a higher price and greater profit.

8. neutronned

neutronned New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just placed $500 down on a 2010, but it's just a deposit to get my name on the list. The sales person said that all colors, packages, order codes and dates are not released but as soon as they are released (early 2009), he'll call me to convert the $500 deposit into a down payment with a real sales order. He was very careful not to give dates but indicated that fleet cars would arrive in "spring" and I'd probably see my car in "summer". I think he used the word "speculation" something like ten times in the conversation.

Interestingly enough, he brought up the fact that a plug-in would ultimately be available on the 2010 chassis but would be "much later" due to the development and availability of the batteries. He mentioned it while asking if I was interested in the hybrid or plug-in. For me, it'll be the hybrid. Again, about every other sentence was "we don't know for sure" and "Toyota is very secretive on their plans."

Doesn't really help give you a specific date but the rumors are all hitting close to summer of 2009 for general availability to regular Joes. That is, if you have your name on the list.

PS: A friend's wife has a relative that works at Toyota's US corporate office (supplier management, I think) and when they asked if he had any information, he just laughed. Toyota has strict rules on confidential information so don't expect many leaks.

9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

April 2009, i would get in line already...

10. lenalik2000

lenalik2000 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    2010 will be available in March 2009. I got deposit on mine 2010 :attention:

11. lblanch

lblanch New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was advised by my dealer that the 2010 would be out by April or May 2009. They also advised me that the Lithium Prius battery would be available 2 years ago so I don't believe anything they say. I have heard the plug in won't be available until late 2009.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That would be great!

I placed an order for my Classic model in June 2000, before rollout began. That qualified me for the opportunity to order an Iconic model in a special "pioneer package" ahead of the public offerings. So I did, back in July 2003.

Getting that head start again would be fantastic! I'll take lots of photo & video to get everyone else all pumped about their chance to purchase... which is rather interesting, since the same content will also serve to calm down as the wait delivery anxiety builds.

2009 is going to be really fun!

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    because the plugs ins are supposed to be in limited release in late 2009, that would be probably considered a 2010 "B". so the early 2010 is expected to be around mid summer at least that is what i heard a while ago. but things do change and no one has been able to provide a plug in on time with the exception of the chinese.