1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Battery Replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by messyj232, Jun 6, 2020.

1. messyj232

messyj232 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hey Everyone!
    My 2010 Prius has about 150,000 miles and the battery charge levels are not quite what they used to be.
    Should I replace the battery?
    Should I keep driving it until the battery no longer charges AND THEN replace the battery?
    Should I give up and get an F-450?
    Thanks so much! Hope all are being safe and healthy (and sane)!

2. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm assuming you are speaking of the traction battery, not 12V battery..

Before you decide to replace the battery, I would get an OBDII scanner (Bluetooth or WiFi) and download apps like Dr.Prius on your phone to diagnose your current battery condition...
    If batteries are out of balance, and require maintenance then get battery charger/maintenaner could help you get your battery packs back in shape..

Here's a link to one highly recommend charger..

Prolong Battery Systems | Hybrid Automotive California, USA

There are multiple options in battery replacement, if you do indeed need to replace your battery.. battery from Toyota dealer are now more affordable than ever, and aftermarket replacement batteries are available if you can DIY it yourself..

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

not sure what 'battery charge levels are not what they used to be' means

if you don't have any trouble lights, the battery is still working within acceptable parameters, although a charger as mentioned above could help with longevity.

read through the egr circuit/head gasket threads. those may make the f-450 decision easier