1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Becomes a Smartphone on Wheels

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by zenMachine, Nov 3, 2009.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Working with Toyota and QNX Software, Alcatel has built what it describes as an "LTE Connected Car," bristling with a vast array of Internet applications. The 2010 Prius has four touchscreens, two in the dashboard, and two behind the front seats, which offer a wealth of different services.

"We wanted to show what is possible with next-generation mobile networks," Derek Kuhn, vice president of emerging technology, told TheStreet during a technology demo Tuesday in New York. The company has even described the tricked-out Prius as a "smartphone on wheels."

... With younger consumers, in particular, expecting ubiquitous high-speed Web access, the souped-up Prius offers roughly 50 applications, including a music streaming service from Atlantic Records, children's computer games developed by Kabillion, and Google's(GOOG Quote) YouTube offering.

... It could be some years, however, before Toyota is actually selling LTE-connected cars. Executives at the New York launch event estimated that the first all-singing and all-dancing cars could make their debut around 2011.

Alcatel, Toyota Tout 'Smartphone' Car | Technology | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Somewhere the anti-texting folks are having a bad feeling.

Bob Wilson

3. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just attended a conference where they talked about LTE (next generation wireless network), and also about running safety software in cars that allow them to "talk" to one another via wireless and prevent accidents.

I think the prius is a perfect car to test all these high tech toys.

4. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Any chance we could get AT&T to offer the 2010 Prius for $199 if we sign up for a two-year smart phone plan? :D

5. acdii

acdii Active Member

As if Texting isn't bad enough, full internet access? Watch out for that tree!!!

Oh now thats fracking great, I now have George of the Jungle going through my head.

6. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Google maps and live traffic map updates would be very useful.