1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Bluetooth A2DP & Iphone 3.0

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jalopez, Jun 29, 2009.

1. jalopez

jalopez New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I just picked up my new Prius and was wondering if anyone has managed to get iphone bluetooth A2DP streaming to work? I can get bluetooth connected but the relevant audio tab is disabled.

Suggestions?

Thanks
    Tony

2. omni

omni New Member

Model:
    IV
    Make sure you have an iPhone 3g or 3gs. Doesn't work with the edge version.

From there you have to go into setup audio I think then poke around. Basically you have to tell the car you have a BT capable player which requires you to put in a pw on the phone the it plays it just fine.

It's definitely capable and pretty cool

3. jalopez

jalopez New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have a 3gs and I have connected it via bluetooth. I'm capable of getting calls but not streaming. Are you saying the audio set up is on the Prius?

Thanks again.

4. jalopez

jalopez New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok, just followed your advice and it worked.

It's interesting that the prius didn't understand that it was A2DP enabled when I connected via the phone setting. I had to go in via the audio setting per your suggestion.

Thanks again.

/t

5. 2010VAT

2010VAT New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just got my new 2010 Prius V with AT package. Awesome! The music stream from my iPhone 3G 3.0 sounds great, but I can only control play and pause from the car. I think it is because the iPhone has version 1.0 of the Bluetooth Audio/Visual Remote Control Profile (AVRCP). Version 1.3 is required to display and control artist, track name, etc. Hopefully Apple will include AVRCP 1.3 or 1.4 soon in an iPhone OS update.

Since I am new to this forum, I can't post URLs yet. To see more info, go to:
    1) wikipedia and search for "Bluetooth Audio/Video Remote Control Profile"
    2) apple web site and search for "supported bluetooth profiles"

Also, it was a breeze to upload my contacts from the iPhone to the Prius.

6. jgallardo

jgallardo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does this only work with the Prius w/ NAV?

7. 2010_Prius_Owner

2010_Prius_Owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am having an issue with my Verizon phone with BT, initially I can get it to work, both the Prius and the phone find each other. I enter the password into the phone and all is well. I make calls, answer calls. All seems perfect. I tell the phone to auto connect to the car. Next time I get in the Prius says BT connected. I go to make a call and it can't find the phone. I try to get the phone and car to connect again and it won't work. It is like the phone won't give the password. I have to delete the phone from the car and the car from the phone and start over from scratch each time and manually enter the password to get it to work again. This doesn't happen with my wifes I-Phone. Guess I need to get a new AT&T I-Phone.

8. newbie101

newbie101 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just so everyone knows, bluetooth streaming is supported by the port installed bluetooth, too! Haven't used it much because I prefer using the audio jack, but it works for those who care!

9. 2010VAT

2010VAT New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry, I haven't tried it on a non-nav Prius.

10. jonathandz

jonathandz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes. Non-NAV Priuses do not support audio streaming over Bluetooth. You can use Bluetooth for making and receiving phone calls. Non-NAV Priuses also cannot upload your full contact list from the phone via Bluetooth. You are limited to programming in up to 20 numbers manually.

2 people like this.
  11. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Glad that you prefer the Audio cable. Myself, and many others here feel that the Bluetooth streaming sounds much clearer than the audio cable. Is there a reason that you prefer the cable, or is it just a personal preference.

12. newbie101

newbie101 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nothing major about the quality. I just have an 8GB iphone and a 120GB ipod (that doesn't have BT). I honestly don't use the phone for music much as I have a pretty big library... I leave the ipod plugged in in the armrest and take my phone with me. Haven't experimented much with the BT streaming but will give it a shot.

Still, it was a pleasant surprise to learn that it works even with the Port Installed BT on a Prius II.

13. newbie101

newbie101 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I take it back. I actually tried the BT streaming from my iphone today for an extended period of time. The quality was just fine by me, and the ease of it was fantastic. I think I just had it in my head that it would be inferior to an actual connection. Who knew? Apparently eglmainz. I stand corrected PC community!

14. belledar

belledar New Member

I have same problem with my Verizon VX 8000. It worked fine for a month. Now it's disconnected. If I can find my manual I'll try to fix it and get back to you. My email: [email protected] Peter

15. mrolfer

mrolfer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is not accurate I have a 2010 without NAV and BT works fine for both Audio and Phone.

16. opus2k9

opus2k9 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    mrolfer,

Please explain how you paired the iPhone with the stereo. I don't see where that is done. When you enter the car next time how do you select the iPhone on the stereo?

Thank you.

opus2k9

17. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm stumped by the Bluetooth audio streaming. If you can help me with specifics, I'd appreciate it.

I have a iPhone 3GS and a GIII Prius IV with Navigation package. I was able to make the connect with my iPhone as a phone very easily. Now I don't see any way to connect the iPod function of my 3GS. In the Audio setup screen the BT tab is grey and I have not figured out any way to make this tab active.

Do I have to remove the phone connection, then connect the 3GS as a Audio device through the iPod? If I make the audio connection, will my phone still function?

Thanks, --TK

18. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is what I did, after already having phone set up:

1. press Setup button (right of nav screen)
    2. touch Audio (onscreen button)
    3. touch Bluetooth Audio Settings (onscreen button)
    4. touch Edit (onscreen button) for Passcode
    5. enter same passcode as used for iphone (default 1212?)
    6. touch OK (onscreen button) to go back to Bluetooth Audio Settings
    7. touch Register (onscreen button) for Bluetooth Audio
    8. on iphone, start bluetooth search (settings, general, bluetooth)
    9. on iphone, highlight car multimedia (probably 2nd device found) and press connect
    10. on iphone, enter the passcode

Probably doesn't matter whether you press register on car first, or bluetooth searching on iphone first. I don't remember for sure if I got an in use message, but if I did, it didn't matter. Once I restarted the car, it connected for both phone and audio player. I also don't know if changing the passcode is really necesary, but I did it based on someone else's post. Other people have said they deleted the phone and setup bluetooth audio first, which resulted in pairing the iphone for both audio and phone at once.

2 people like this.
  19. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've answered my own question; I've spent some time in my car getting my iPhone 3GS phone and iPod Paired to the Prius Bluetooth. Yes, I had to discard the first connection I made between my iPhone phone function and the Prius.

The following sequence gives me both iPod audio streaming and iPhone function from my iPhone 3GS to my GIII Prius IV with Solar Roof and Navigation package:

Go to the Audio Setup screen and Connect your Iphone 3GS iPod. When I received the Connection Successfully Made message, I confirmed I could play songs on my iPhone 3GS iPod through the Bluetooth connection on the car audio system.

Next, I went to the phone set up and connected to the iPhone 3GS phone functions. This connection did not ask to input another connection code. It found the connection.

I then made a call to confirm this worked. When I hung up the iPhone 3GS started playing the same song I had previously tested. I stopped the song in the iPhone 3GS iPod function and everything seems to be working.

There appears to be no need to purchase an after market product nor the Toyota factory iPod cable, unless you have a older iPod. For example, I have a older 60GB iPod Photo (4th Gen) I could plug in to play music, which would permit me to conserve the battery on my iPhone 3GS. --TK

20. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you have wireless bluetooth audio streaming working on a non-nav radio, please post instructions on how you did it.

Scottgriz likes this.