1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Brake problem not resolved even after dealer correction

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by samhoust, May 6, 2010.

?
  1. Do Not feel the problem

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Still have the problem

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Sometimes feel the problem on patchy/uneven road

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. samhoust

samhoust New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We got 2010 Prius recall problem about the brakes software repaired from the Toyota dealer 2 months back. But we still sometimes feel that the brakes does not respond appropriately on patchy / uneven roads, as it should have been normally. I have driven Accord and Camry, but never felt such problem on patchy, uneven roads. Do anyone have felt such problems.:confused:

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Gen3 brake fix isn't supposed to eliminate the delay between regen and friction braking completely, just make the lag equivalent to that found in the Gen2. It should be less noticeable but not completely gone.

3. samhoust

samhoust New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the information. If it is not completely taken care, while driving, you always fear the brakes may not respond and we tend to drive below the speed or with much more distance than the car in front. Though it seems to be safe to do that, but at times, we need to apply the brakes in emergency which i felt atleast twice, if not more, that i was too close to the car in front even after applying the brakes at right time. I did not have that problem with Accord or Camry.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You hit those brakes they are going to stop you period. Just give it a try in a safe place. I had to. Was going about 25 and I jamb the brakes. I couldn't believe how fast that car stopped.
    The only time you are really going to get the sensation is when you are riding the brakes (without a great deal of pedal pressure). You should always keep a safe distance from the cars in front of you.

5. samhoust

samhoust New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went back to the dealer to check if there was any further problem, and as usual the dealer mentioned that there is no problem and it is the normal sensation. Probable reason for that sensation on brake, they did mention was the timing between change from regenerative braking system to the hydraullic braking system. This could explain the reason for that sensation, and we do not have that feeling in the conventional cars. So better to safe on applying brakes in hybrid taking into consideration the timing factor involved in change from the regenerative braking system to hydraullic braking system.

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The delay is about 300 milliseconds or so. If you're unable to stop a car short of hitting another car in the millisecond range, you're going too fast to stop in time. Period.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What I've noticed post-recall isn't a gap, but instead in some edge cases, I have some friction braking when regen lets go vs. none for 8/10 second. There is still some slight momentary reduction in stopping force, but it's not completely absent.

I still consider it a quirk that I can easily adapt to.

8. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    300 milliseconds sounds so small. At 60mph you will travel 25 feet in 300 milliseconds. That's about 2 car lengths. Not an insignificant amount at all.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Who is experiencing this at 60 mph? And at braking levels where 2 car lengths matters?

I'm still not convinced that even the original braking issue covered these conditions.

10. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've felt it in my 2010. a little odd, but i was expecting it because i read about it. When we're encouraged to brake early and light (using the little charge meter as a guide) it is not a problem, if braking force goes, brake harder. as everyone has said, if you stomp the brakes it will stop, so emergencies are covered. only people riding far too close to a car in front while braking will ever have an accident.

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If a two car length matters when braking from 60 mph, then it's an emergency braking, in which case you'll slam on the brakes and immediately engage the ABS, which is tied to friction braking. People like to throw around "At 60 mph, the car will travel x feet or x car lengths," but it's not a realistic application in an emergency situation.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Like before, we need to know:

• Can you reproduce it at will?
    • How frequently does it happen?
    • Where does it happen? (need Google map/street/earth address)
    • What speed(s)?
    • Any weather conditions?
    We're not going to have much luck until we can show exactly how to make it happen. Then it becomes trivial to report and often, find a fix.

Bob Wilson

13. blittle

blittle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    To some degree, this situation is apparent in all vehicles with sophisticated ABS and Traction control programs...... I have felt it in my in current 2010 Prius and did feel it in my 2006. I have also noticed a similar kind of sensation in my B-Benz SUV. In the millisecond that a wheel loses contact with pavement on a very bumpy road or pothole situation AND your brakes are applied ... the wheel starts to lock up .... the computer says "NO" and pulses the brake system to control the perceived "skid"..... resulting in a very momentary sensation that the brakes are not working. Keep your foot on the brake and all will be well!

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is this a serious post? Everybody knows that the ~300 ms delay between regen and friction is there and reproducible, including in the Gen 2. The "fix" already exists and shortened the delay from ~600 ms to ~300 ms in the Gen 3.

15. thatguychristian

thatguychristian New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm glad to say to that I haven't experienced any braking problems with my 2010. I just got it on 4/12/2010, build date of 3/2010. Unfortunately, I've had about 2-3 instances on the freeway where I've had to slam the brakes unexpectedly due to the car in front braking abruptly and the car stopped, without any hiccup.

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source?

After SSC-A0B, we no longer see the brake pause that used to happen: under 19 mph; constant brake pedal position; wet or slippery road surface, and; speed bump or equivalent pot hole. There may be other conditions but we need a description of how to recreate the problem.

I measured my Prius braking after the SSC-A0B:
    [​IMG]
    I have yet to find "300 milliseconds" of delay in the braking force. So the questions remain:

• Can you reproduce it at will?
    • If so, how?
    • How frequently does it happen?
    • Where does it happen? (need Google map/street/earth address)
    • What speed(s)?
    • Any weather conditions?
    If you have an iPhone or iPod, you can get one of the accelerometer packages and document the "300 milliseconds." Post the data so we can see what it looks like. Alternatively, I can loan an accelerometer, after instrument rental, that can also accurately measure braking force:
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I thought regen braking is only effective down to 20 mph, and you tested at 19 mph? You ran the same test in NHW11 and still see a delay, or are you suggesting the regen to friction delay is entirely gone in ZVW30? If regen braking and the corresponding delay was indeed effective at 19 mph before SSC-A0B, how do you know SSC-A0B did not raise the speed at which regen braking is effective such that you no longer see the delay at 19 mph?

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    7 mph.

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Now, 7 mph sounds familiar. I'm curious to see if Bob is actually suggesting the delay is gone in ZVW30 post-SSC-A0B compared to NHW11.

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The delay is limited to regenerative braking, which is limited to rather light braking. If you really need the brakes, step on them and you get full friction braking right now. There is no delay for heavy braking.

Tom