1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Buzzing from Main Display

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Nathon, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Nathon

Nathon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm hoping someone has run across this before. Several attempts at finding something similar online has been fruitless. We have a 2010 Prius with pretty much all the options (e.g. leather, moon roof, solar panel, etc.). It has been flawless and has required no major repairs. However, this issue has been an annoyance for a long time.

When starting the car, the main display (I don't know the name, but it's the one that shows speedometer) sometimes buzzes and the area where the gear indicator is, is dimmer than normal. It seems to be directly related to the headlights as sometimes turning them off will make the buzzing stop a second or two later. You can turn the headlights back on a few seconds later and it will either pick up again or remain silent.

However, occasionally it seems like if the car has been running for quite a while and you shut it off, then start it and the buzzing happens to start that time, then no amount of turning it on/off, turning headlights on/off, will cause it to stop. In these cases, letting it sit for quite a while (hour or more) and coming back, it will be back to the normal chance of it occurring.

The sound isn't a rattle. It sounds like electrical buzzing. The location sounds like it's coming from the main display. I haven't been able to track down a cause or even a likely place to start looking. I'm hoping someone here has run into this and can help. Thank you.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a relay or maybe even a bad pc board or something. could be the whole combo display (speedo, etc) but i don't recall ever reading about it before.

3. Nathon

Nathon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Okay. Thank you. I wasn't sure if it was something that someone could just put their finger on and say, oh, yea, it's this... happens all the time.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Possible, give it some time, and bump your post once a day
    All the best!(y)

Nathon likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Any moisture ever get behind the display?

All fuses look ok?

Any rodent intrusions that could cause any wiring issues?

6. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have had it happen only once. It’s sounded like some electrical buzz coming through my speakers. I shut the car off and started it and it was gone. I have not had it happen again.

7. Stephen Aldana

Stephen Aldana New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    did you ever find the problem? mine is doing the exact same issue