1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius - Canadian DRL Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by joec221, Nov 2, 2016.

1. joec221

joec221 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi All,

Strange problem popped up last night...

I normally leave the headlight switch in the automatic position. Driving last night I notice the headlights did not engage. I tried switching to the normal low beam engaged position and still nothing.

When I move the switch to the DRL position the headlights come on in the low power DRL mode.

I also notice the Highbeams don't engage while in the DRL position.

I checked and the sensor is not blocked, also I changed to fuse 22 and nothing changed.

Any idea what could be the issue before I take it to the dealership?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you changed the low beam bulbs?

3. joec221

joec221 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for your reply.

The low beams work in the low power DRL mode. So the bulbs are working during the day, but at night the headlights are not active.

I was suspicious about fuse number 19 but the horn and backup lights still work. Maybe a relay is gone?

4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'd say bad switch, but that doesn't explain why Automatic mode is not working...

MT2L03 ?

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have a 2010 Prius, then your DRL is actually the high beam at reduced power. The low beams are off. The high beams are the multi-reflector unit. The low beam is either projector halogen or twin projector LED plus the LED floodlight if you have the Touring package.

Nothing wrong with the wires? (e.g. no evidence of rodents chewing on them?)

Basically nothing works except the DRLs, right? Not even the parking lights? I wonder if there's an issue with the actual stalk.

6. joec221

joec221 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for your reply... maybe I need to clarify,

Everything seems to be working with the exception of the low beams while the switch is in the top two positions which are Auto and full low beam headlights. In the bottom two positions the DRL lamps are lit... which is the normal low beams at reduced power.

So it seams to me that a fuse or relay has failed.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I understand. Your reply that I quoted here is correct up to the last bit. You say "low beams" twice. It's not working but yet you say "normal low beams at reduced power". I'm trying to let you know that everyone else calls that the "high beams at reduced power" because that's what they are. You cannot call both headlights the "low beam" :)

Anyway doesn't matter. Let's solve the problem.

There's either no power going to the low beam (wiring problem, connection problem to the driver's side bulb or connection problem on the fuse/battery side) or the both bulbs are blown at the same time.

You've already checked the fuse so it's not a fuse problem.

The thing that confuses me is that the DRLs work but not the high beams? They're the same bulb in Canada.

This is the DRL. It's using the high beams at reduced power.
    [​IMG]

This is the high beam on (along with the parking lights and the LED low beams)
    [​IMG]

This setup is the same for non-LED cars.

So the DRL and the high beams use the same bulb.

That's so weird.

Maybe it's a computer signal issue? The stalk isn't sending the signal to the computers to turn on the lights?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. joec221

joec221 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ah... so decided to buy new low beam bulbs and voila... I guess it's strange but both bulbs went at the same time.

Thanks all for the advice.

Ron

Tideland Prius and Mendel Leisk like this.