1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Canadian Reveal - Toronto Auto Show Feb. 14th

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius 07, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    link to photos taken at this event:
    Picasa Web Albums - Gabe - 2010 Prius Ca...

The Canadian 2010 Prius reveal occurred at the Toronto Auto Show on Feb. 14th 2009. I was one of the few fortunate invitees to attend this event. According to Toyota we saw the gen3 two weeks before the Canadian Driving media will get behind the wheels. Thanks to Tideland Prius and Toyota Canada to be given this unique opportunity.

After registration (unlike the Detroit event no name badges issued at this event) the continental breakfast gave us all an opportunity to meet and share stories with other Prius enthusiasts. After continental breakfast the show started – see pictures.

Here are some tidbits that stuck with me from the presentation and conversations:

Introduction in Canada: I was told that it should be about two weeks after introduction in the US (late spring 2009). Asked a number of people about the 2009 and 2010 being sold at the same time. Either they were not aware of it or did not want to disclose this information.

PHEV: A lot of dancing around it / non-committal answers to its introduction. Most Toyota staff there would not even confirm the 500 PHEV WW (150 NA) introduction in 2009. Finally someone told me that it should be probably a couple of years after the fleet introduction this year before it is sold to Canadian consumers. He told me that it is still cold tested for Canadian climate. This makes sense to me in terms of timing of the gen3 and PHEV introduction being spread out somewhat. There were some questions about battery technology with Toyota again being very careful with their answers about lithium ion technology. Not surprising to me they are very cautious in not making any concrete commitments in terms of timing and specifics. They want to get 100% proven and not disappoint. When someone asked about diesel there was a more firm answer of that not being Toyota’s direction.

Marketing: Toyota does not like to make car to car comparisons, but rather rely on Prius enthusiast to spread the word. This is consistent with the modest Japanese culture.

Canadian Packages or pricing: they had no information about it. I tried to get some feel about how much above it will be the US prices which led to some interesting discussion about Canadian premium prices. Toyota or at least the person I was talking with was well aware of this issue. Interestingly enough he then talked about the need of getting the Prius in more Canadian driver’s hands. I told him premium prices are somewhat of a barrier – he nodded.

They are still doing some software modifications / optimizations therefore could not answer such questions as to the cars maximum speed capability to drive solely on battery or stealth mode.

In conclusion I was very impressed with the hospitality and mostly the technology of the 3rd gen Prius. We were all given a red Toyota stainless steel water bottle with a gift bag at the end of the presentation and a free ticket to attend the rest of the Auto Show.

Having seen the car and finding out about the features I now truly believe that it is a worthy upgrade to gen 2. Anyone in the market for a new car and/or seriously considering an upgrade won’t go wrong with considering the 2010 Prius.

2. Radon

Radon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Radon,

Thanks for letting me know and sorry - it is my first time posting photos this way. I tested the link again and it works for me perhaps because it recognizes me / my computer.

Can you please try this link and let me know:
    Picasa Web Albums - Gabe - 2010 Prius Ca...

If it works I'll update the original post. Thanks again,

4. Radon

Radon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    woo pictures!

5. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It looks like that model had the Adaptive Cruise control without the LKA feature?

Did not think that was possible.. at least in the US?

Nice pics..

Scott

6. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    some additional information that popped into my head:
    Improved HWY mileage with lower RPM; improved first 5 minute mileage and cold weather mileage - WHOOPEE - with new exhaust heat recovery.
    I can't wait until the Prius hypermiling experts get hold of gen3 and squeeze some high MPG out of it!

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great pics and post, thanks.

8. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks Pat:)

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oooh very nice! Yeah I noticed that the prototype had the nice black overhead area for the dome lights but no ambient lighting.

Also note the "AUTO" position on the headlight stalk that was not on the US model.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the packaging and the pricing will be interesting... it'll also determine whether I spring for one or not... pending any unforeseen expenses

11. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had "AUTO" headlights on my previous car and I do miss it on my Prius

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you import yours? Canadian Priuses have automatic headlights.

13. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The only place I have auto headlights on this car is in the manual - LOL. Yes I did import mine from the US.

14. ea8631

ea8631 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    oh, no wonder why yours scree was shown in mpg.....

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hahaha that explains it ;). Well you'll like the Canadian car then ;)

16. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    LOL Tideland - always! I love shopping Canadian:canada:, but don't mark it up too much! ;)

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hehehehe indeed!

We got the silver car for today's event. It's probably the same one for the photoshoot on toyota's website. It had 1-door SKS and nothing much else. J-P did mention that a backup camera may be standard. I don't know if I heard that correctly but either way, we will have the backup camera shown in the rearview mirror on models without navigation!

18. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Interesting. I love my backup camera on the MFD. Great for backing up or parking where there are those parking curbes. Highly recommended!!! I bought it as a safety device after seeing on the news kids being run over. I predict in 5 yrs it will be std on most cars.

Is there a thread / pictures of today's event? How many people attended that one?

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No thread yet. I didn't bring my camera (d'oh!). There was only one vehicle on the floor and it's just a silver one so nothing too dramatic. The battery also died and we couldn't find a backup generator.

20. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How was the event? Toyota did a really nice job in Toronto:)