1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius CHS,P0AFC, P0B42, P0B47 and wont come on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ikefor, Nov 27, 2019.

1. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Okay Guys, i am having this issue with my 2010 Prius 97k miles. Took it to a friend who owns a car lot so that it could be sold (using a PIP). My friend's employee on a daily basis moves the car from the night parking location to the sales spot, a distance of less than 15 meters. On this day, he returned the car to the night parking location and it won't come ready the next morning.

The car flashes Ready for <5 seconds and shuts down. Engine does not start and Transmission cannot be engaged successfully.

I ran a scan using Techstream and pulled some codes. The following codes below have been my primary focus
    P0517
    P0A80
    P0AFC -123
    P0B42 -123
    U0100 - 211

These are the things that i have done so far.
    I have changed the Battery Smart Unit and the codes remain the same. Following the diagnostic tree for P0AFC-123, checked the resistance between BSU C1-4 (IGCT) to IGCT No.2 (2) and it was within limits.

Checked the IGCT Fuse, IGCT No.2 Fuse and IGCT Relay and all three (3) components tested within limits.

Now i am kinda lost and need the senior fellows here to assist to bring back my dear dear Prius.

Attached Files:

2. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hook a booster pack or jumper cables to the jump point under the hood. The 12v battery is very low. 10.58v. Clear the codes and try to start it again.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you Sir for your prompt response...will do that and revert asa possible.

4. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The main reason I call this out, if it drove with no issue 24 hours prior, there can’t possibly have been something serious “just happen” without some kind of warning. The most important thing to remember about the Prius, is don’t “overthink” the issue.

5. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Okay, i went in there and tried to get the car ready with a new auxiliary battery and it was the same thing - won't start. Pulled some codes from Techstream again and this time i got another hybrid code in addition to the previous ones listed in the initial post.

P0B3D-123 Hybrid Battery Voltage Sensor "A" Circuit Low

Also noticed that Battery Block 1 had taken a hit @ 9V compared to other blocks which are between 14.96V and 15.01 V indicating that the battery is getting negatively impacted by the times that i had tried to get the car ready. Nothing has changed in the car except for the replacement Battery Smart Unit which was introduced. At this point, i don't know if the bad Block 1 has been a lingering issue. Reviewing the techstream codes from the initial post (pdf), i observed that Block 1 had started to differ from the rest of the blocks @13.75V compared the rest of the blocks which were between 15.4V to 17.5V, could this have triggered those sets of initial codes?. Nevertheless, i have pulled out the battery pack for a charge. For now the plan is just to charge the pack, review the codes some more and try to get the car started. If i can get the car started, then i can take a further look at the battery pack, i hope that i haven't ultimately damaged it.

Will appreciate any further insights and discussions on progressing and learning more about any possible causes so as to close out on this.

Attached Files:

• 11.PNG
      11.PNG
      File size:
      225.1 KB
      Views:
  6. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Had some time for some more troubleshooting today, this time i followed the diagnostic tree for U0100 Lost communication with PCM / ECM "A" and still unable to rectify the issue. Car comes ready but the gasoline engine will not turn. One of the diagnostics tree pointed to running a CAN BUS CHECK in Techstream which i did ....simply put, ECU's in red (attached) not communicating on the CAN BUS line, I don’t know if this is normal or due to a malfunction of the one or more ECU’s connected to the CAN BUS. I have checked for short and open on the CAN BUS line by measuring the resistance between CANH and CANL and battery (pin 16 on DLC 3) with battery terminals connected and negative terminal removed, and the measurements were within the specifications.

I have also changed the HV battery along with the Battery ECU, got 2 days subscription to Toyota TIS and got some useful materials. Since U0100 was pointing to Communication loss between ECM / PCM - i went ahead to check the CAN BUS wire for disconnection by measuring the resistance between CANN and CANP and i measured 123 ohms which is within the specified condition.

The following hybrid codes still exist as permanent even after the change

U0100 - 211
    P0AFC - 123
    P0B42
    P0A80

I need help with this. Clearly looking at these options now
    1. Open in a harness not yet discovered
    2. ECM malfunction
    3. Power Management Control ECU malfunction
    4. Transmission malfunction

Attached Files:

#6 ikefor, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  7. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Okay, its been a while since this post, i have largely been out of town and the car was parked far away from my house. Anyways, i had to tow the car to my house for convenience of troubleshooting it. I also thought about it, the car was absolutely fine before i took it to the car sales place. I remembered that one of the times i visited the cars sales shop, the personnel were using one 12v battery to move multiple cars from their overnight parking lot to the showroom. It dawned on me that the issue could easily have been a wrong jump start i.e jump staring the Prius wrongly. Unlike the Prius Gen 2, the fusible link in the Prius Gen 3 is in the trunk area by the battery and it was intact (visibly and a resistance test). Then i rechecked the CANBUS read out from Techstream (attached in previous post) and realized that the ECM was not communicating in the CANBUS. The CANBUS has two terminating 120Ohm resistors, one in the ECM and the other in the Combination meter.....Anyways, i changed the ECM and the car came READY.

The only thing i noticed now is that the touchscreen display does not respond to touch, so i have to change the audio mode from the buttons on the steering wheel. Besides that the car has returned to normal.

8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you checked the 12v battery??? It may be weak..

9. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the response. I changed the 12V battery outrightly because the previous one had run down. still the touchscreen no response issue.