1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Deceleration When Foot Off Gas

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Joe Newmarket, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Joe Newmarket

Joe Newmarket New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First-time poster here. I have a 2010 Prius II with 150k miles on it. About a year ago I noticed a whining sound from my front wheel and suspected a bearing was going. I took it to an independent shop and they confirmed and replaced. Noise went away but this year I noticed it again. It got louder and sounded like it may be the other front wheel this time. Recently, I wrote it off as getting snows on and them being quieter while driving and thought I might be noticing more road noise. But today I drove to get gas and noticed the car was decelerating when I took my foot off the gas. Like really decelerating. It also felt like I was in B or had my parking brake on, but I didn’t. Best case this is another bearing that needs replacing. Worst case is this has something to do with the braking system. I’m terrified it may be a brake booster issue. I had my brake booster pump assembly replaced under warranty in 2013; this was part of the contaminated brake fluid recall. I had not thrown any codes then but the dealer inspected my vehicle and said I qualified for the replacement. I really hope this deceleration is unrelated, but I’m worried it could be. Are the two connected?

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Listen.....I don't intend this to be a nasty or demeaning comment but.......we get posts like this all the time and it is impossible for anyone to KNOW what is related to what or what is causing any given situation without being there to see it.

If your present situation is related to brakes, it most likely is a sticking caliper causing a brake to drag.
    The bad news is: IF the vehicle has never had a complete brake job, it REALLY needs to be done now. The cost for that will be substantial.

Whatever is causing it, you should NOT DRIVE IT much until you get it fixed.
    A dragging brake of really bad bearing can overheat and catch fire.