1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius: dome light

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by southjerseycraig, Mar 12, 2014.

1. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I walked down the driveway this morning and realized that the left domelight was on. I swear I had not done anything to turn it on. So I opened the driver's side door and closed it. No change.

I got into the car and turned it on. (Fortunately the 12v battery could help start the car.) Usually, the domelights go off when I turn on the ignition, but not this time. I played with the switch, but I couldn't get the left domelight to turn off. After a few blocks, I realized I was in trouble because the domelight was making it hard for me to see into the dark. (This was about 7 a.m. in New Jersey, so the sun had not come up. Now that we're on daylight savings, it will be a couple of weeks at least before it's light at 7 a.m.) In frustration, I hit the glass housing of the dome light. Guess what? It turned off.

The thing has been fine since, but I'm not happy. This once happened to me before. Is there simply a gremlin in the program? Or is there something I should know to do?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you whacked the light, you probably impacted the switch, which is where the sticking may have been taking place. if it happens again, try whacking the switch. maybe it just needs to be disassembled and cleaned.

southjerseycraig likes this.
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You push up on the dome light to turn it on and off, that is how it works. When you wacked it on the glass (plastic) you turned it off !

I have found out that a lot of times when I place my glasses in the glass holder that I will accidentally turn on the dome light.

southjerseycraig and Technigogo like this.