1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Engine Check, followed by !, then loss of power

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tmowner2010, Jul 19, 2010.

1. tmowner2010

tmowner2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Help! I was driving my 2010 Prius on the Highway (less than 2 miles) and the engine check light came on.... shortly after the ! (triangle with exclamation light came on and then started flashing). I exited the highway and was going back home. On the way home, I noticed a decrease in acceleration and then a message 'Hybrid...'

I was able to coast into an apartment complex and then got a ride home.

After about a couple of hours, I went back to the Apartment Complex. I reviewed the manual and one of the options was to check the gas cap. I filled the tank up last weekend and haven't driven it since today.

Anyway, after doing this, I put my foot to the brake and pressed the Power button and was able to start the car and slowly drove it back. The check engine and exclamation light was on. After a couple of miles, same results, the exclamation light blinked and then loss of power. I was able to drive to a business parking lot.

I sat there thinking what could of caused this.... the only thing I remembered doing prior to leaving was putting a box in the 'trunk'.

So I opened and closed each door and then the power came on and this time, I was able to park the Prius... (The engine check and ! Exclamation lights were both on).

Any help in trouble shooting this would be of great value...
    thanks -jr

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a great time to have the dealer take care of that under warranty.

3. tmowner2010

tmowner2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, the only question is, should I drive it or have it towed! I'll call the dealership in the morning. Other things left out, car only has 238 miles on it. Had to jump the battery about three weeks ago. Took it in two weeks ago and everything checks out. They updated the codes for the braking recall and checked the 12V battery out.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Call them and get them to tow it. I would be very wary about driving it when it's obviously not well. You don't want to do more damage or break down somewhere inconvenient!

5. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Without knowing the error code causing the engine light to be on, you're playing roulette driving, or even starting your car. Do you feel lucky?

6. 91MR2turbo

91MR2turbo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As it's apparently a new car, doesn't the two-year free service package that Toyota has been providing have a toll free number to call for assistance when you're stranded?

7. tmowner2010

tmowner2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Everyone, here is what the official problem with my 2010 Gen III Prius.

DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Codes:
    P261C - Coolant Pump "B" Control Malfunction
    POAOf - 208 - Engine Check (caused by P261C)

According to the document on DTC P261B or P261C - Coolant Pump Control Malfunction, there was a TSB which applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below:

Model Plant Production Change Effective VIN*
    Prius Tsutsumi 1 JTDKN3DU#A0108813
    Prius Tsutsumi 2 JTDKN3DU#A1140374
    Prius Toyota Auto Body JTDKN3DU#A5106915

* Underlined number in VIN (11th digit) represents assembly plant line code.

The service dept stated that a TSB came out on 6/6/2010 on this for the 2010 Prius.

Accordingly, under warranty information, this is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty and is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicles's in-service date.

I picked up my Prius on Thursday and was dismayed to find grease spots on the seats, passenger dash, etc... I waited an additional 15 minutes while they cleaned this off. Service in terms of keeping your car clean doesn't seem to be a high priority!

I did a search on Prius Engine Check and I believe this issue goes back to 2004. If this is the case, then why doesn't Toyota fix this problem once and for all instead of ignoring this? Secondly, if this seems to stem from these two plants, then do they have a quality control or parts issue? Can you imagine if this happened to a mother, grandmother out in a rural stretch of road in 90+ degree heat. Car shuts down, so much for A/C and you're out in the heat with no shade anywhere?

Yes, it was treated under warranty, but for this to happen with only 238 miles on it is starting to make me think seriously on Toyota's. Especially after I've owned over 6 during the last 20 years.

8. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Knowing Toyotas for long, I would rather stick with a early-problem Toyota, than other-brand late-nightmare model. Priuses had been reliable since 1Gen, no reason for lemons 3Gen, very few parts have been new or of unknown reliability.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe that the root cause of your problem is a defective electric engine coolant pump. That is a new design feature for the 2010 model year. BTW the engine does not need to have a serpentine drive belt since the pump is electric.

This particular problem did not exist prior to 2010, since earlier model year Prius had an engine coolant pump that was powered via the serpentine drive belt spun by the crankshaft pulley.

I hope that you had the car towed to the dealer, since engine damage could result from an overheating condition.

10. tmowner2010

tmowner2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Everyone,
    This past Monday, 7/26/10, 12:50 pm. while coming back from lunch, the same thing happened again as initially described (engine check light, triangle with ! and then hybrid system failure).

I called the tow truck and had it towed from where it stalled. i.e. no power, nothing...

While in the shop, I spoke to the GM and he told the CRM to have the regional/district Master mechanic look at it. Today, Thursday, 7/29/10 @ 10:59 am, I received a call from the service advisor and he said they were able to replicate the problem and will be replacing the dash and engine harness. The parts should be in sometime next week.

Can someone tell me a little bit about the dash and engine harness...
    thanks!

11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow... glad that they are really looking into it.

I would assume you/they mean wiring "harness"? With all the computers wired together in the car is wouldn't surprise me that a short might be causing the problem. It is probably eaiser for them to replace all the wire than to try tracing down a short. Just a guess though.

Did they give you a loaner?

1 person likes this.
  12. ricksprius

ricksprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do you have the TSB Number?

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    2 people like this.
  14. tmowner2010

tmowner2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, they gave me a loaner .... funny, I asked for a 2009 Prius and it's been fine....

15. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd also like the TSB # as my VIN is before the above listed VINs.
    Thanks!

16. edmcohen

edmcohen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This seems to be a freak, "infant mortality"episode. May we know what dealer it was? There seem to be issues there as well.

17. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    P261C is a new code for the third-generation car. P0A0F is an SAE-standard code and it means that the engine failed to start - on the Prius it seems to be used as a general 'Engine ECU reported a problem' code (it's reported by the HV ECU, while P261C is reported by the Engine ECU).

There are three production plants listed above, and they are the only three production plants that produce the Prius. All Prius are built in Japan.

It appears that when a DTC is described as 'XYZ Malfunction', it usually means that there was an open circuit or short-circuit detected in that system. It's quite likely that a connector is no longer making proper contact. This isn't an easy thing to design out of a road vehicle.

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that this is going to be a pretty big repair. Suggest that you ask to be told when the old wiring harness is removed so that you can visit your car and take photos in its disassembled condition.

You may be surprised to see what has to be done to remove the harness.

1 person likes this.
  19. tmowner2010

tmowner2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good point, I'll ask the SA to see if I can do that or if they can do that for me... If so, I'll see about posting it later...

20. tmowner2010

tmowner2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're correct, it will be a brand new OEM wiring harness. From what the SA described, it's a pretty involved process.

I do have some concerns meaning will the car run the same as before? Will something else be missed that causes another failure down the road? The other option since it has less than 300 miles is to ask them to just give me another new Prius... If any of you were in this position, what would you all do?