1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius faces stiff competition

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Canada is weeks away from launching the third-generation version of what has become arguably the single most important vehicle in the Toyota lineup, the 2010 Toyota Prius.

More than Camry, more than Corolla, more than any other vehicle Toyota sells in the world, the Prius is the one car that symbolizes Toyota and Toyota's future. Toyota may not have intended to become the hybrid company, but like it or not, that's what has happened and it's all thanks to the Prius.

globeandmail.com: Driving It Home - 2010 Prius faces stiff competition

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Why is the Honda Insight not competing with these:

• 42 MPG - Honda Civic Hybrid
    • 33 MPG - Volkswagon Jetta
    • 31 MPG - Yaris
    • 32 MPG - Mini Cooper
    • 42 MPG* - 2010 Honda Big-Insight
    Instead, the Honda Insight is competing with:

• 50 MPG* - 2010 Prius
    * - projected, EPA composite mileage by vendors

I am amused that the Honda Big-Insight hybrid, a vehicle of modest performance, is written up as competing with the Prius, the Godzilla of hybrids. The only way any of the first set of vehicles 'compete' with the Prius is by either ignoring MPG (ranking everything else higher,) and vehicle class (family sedan,) or using "Top Gear" mileage practices (ignoring standard, lab based, mpg results.)

Bob Wilson

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We know the new Insight will compete against the new Prius based on the entry price point. Question is, will Toyota launch a Prius lite to thwart Honda's gambit.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It will compete with the Honda Civic Hybrid since it has the same performance. It will cannibalized HCH sales.
    Toyota has yet to move the HSD into the Scion and Yaris or an HSD minivan for the North American market. Also, a hybrid S-10 pickup and small delivery van would complete the picture.

Bob Wilson

6. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How much does an HCH typically cost?

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From 2009, Consumer Reports Cars, the HCH lists for $23,550 with an EPA combined mileage of 42 MPG.

Now we do not have official MSRP for the 2010 nor the informally reported 50 MPG. But we can somewhat estimate using the 2009 Prius, which in Consumer Reports Cars '09 lists for $21,500-$23,770 with an EPA of 46 MPG.

So I really see the HCH running interference for the 2010 Prius. It has a price somewhat like the Prius and MPG more like Big-Insight. So someone who might have bought an HCH can get the same performance for less.

I bought my copy of Consumer Reports Cars '09 at a local book store magazine rack.

Bob Wilson

8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I believe that Toyota more than has the ability to do this, and I believe they could do it within a month's time if they really wanted to. The problem is that the number of hybrid powertrains and batteries coming off of the assembly line each month is limited, and I assume Toyota wants to get as many of those into their flagship hybrid (aka The Prius) as possible. Question for those who want to explore the concept: would the Camry hybrid powertrain be sufficient to power the Sienna minivan? (I'm sure it would boost publicity for the ICE Sienna significantly over competing ICE minivans).

9. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I think the Venza would be a perfect candidate for the hybrid system. 4k lbs instead of 5k lbs of the Sienna. And the Venza already can run on 180ish HP from its 4 banger.

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to see a Prius drive train in an MR2! That would be fun on fumes.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They also make the Venza in the same Georgetown KY plant that makes the Camry hybrid.

Bob Wilson

12. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd just like to see the Venza not have 19" wheels standard! Cost to replace tires is going to be 250 bucks a tire! I was so excited about this car coming out, and then they do everything in an impractical fashion... reminds me of an American manufacturer... Very disappointing.

Just give people a Camry wagon without jacking it up, putting monster rims on the thing, and tacking 7k to it....

Yuck.